WD TV Live Plus - with Netflix

SjefDeKlerk wrote:

backlund wrote:

This is more or less wishful thinking but it would be awesome if at the very least we could install the Plus firmware on the old boxes without WD having to officially say you can do that.  Kind of a wink wink nudge nudge.  Asus more or less did this with the Oplay and the Oplay Air.  The air is the same box as the Oplay, only with WIFI support.  If you download the Air firmware and install it on the regular Oplay, it installs fine and adds WIFI support to that box.

Well, obviously the whole idea about hardware keys would be that you can NOT simply use keys from somebody else (and hence easily crossflash your old wdtv live with new FW). But like said, it’s too soon to get all angry and jumpy, let’s wait for more details.

Has anyone from WD said that there would be more details?

backlund wrote:

Has anyone from WD said that there would be more details?

No but a lot of details are emerging all over the net (especially in the homebrew forum)

All, the Wii, PS3, etc. etc, all DO have hardware keys.    There are several keys involved, to protect the DRM of the media they were invented for:  Blu-Rays, Wii discs, etc, all have embedded keys on the media that aren’t readable by any consumer devices.    That key, hashed with the hardware keys, are what unlock the media.    This is one mechanism that keeps people from copying their disks.    And, if the hardware keys are unique, NetFlix can register those keys in there system.    No device WITHOUT a unique key can do this.   And, no, a MAC address doesn’t count.

ANYWAY, they ARE giving you notice!    The product pages are live, but you can’t BUY them yet, can you?

So, how much notice do you think is fair?

I’ll bet you the folks that saw them at Best Buy won’t see them now.   Best Buy screwed up, just like they did when the TiVo Premiere was announced.   They had them on the shelf about a week before the official launch, and screwed customers who took it to the checkstand only to be told they couldn’t sell it.   “Ooops, so sorry.”

The new manual is for the Live as well as the Live Plus and the only difference is the Netflix support. So lets look forward to DVD navigation, bugfixes and Medafly.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

All, the Wii, PS3, etc. etc, all DO have hardware keys.    There are several keys involved, to protect the DRM of the media they were invented for:  Blu-Rays, Wii discs, etc, all have embedded keys on the media that aren’t readable by any consumer devices.    That key, hashed with the hardware keys, are what unlock the media.    This is one mechanism that keeps people from copying their disks.    And, if the hardware keys are unique, NetFlix can register those keys in there system.    No device WITHOUT a unique key can do this.   And, no, a MAC address doesn’t count.

ANYWAY, they ARE giving you notice!    The product pages are live, but you can’t BUY them yet, can you?

So, how much notice do you think is fair?

I’ll bet you the folks that saw them at Best Buy won’t see them now.   Best Buy screwed up, just like they did when the TiVo Premiere was announced.   They had them on the shelf about a week before the official launch, and screwed customers who took it to the checkstand only to be told they couldn’t sell it.   “Ooops, so sorry.”

No, I’m sorry.  You Fail.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/categoryID.43496300/parid.13092400/catid.13742300

backlund wrote:

No, I’m sorry.  You Fail.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/categoryID.43496300/parid.13092400/catid.13742300

Hehe, indeed. People are already playing around with it and some are dissecting the box to see what’s different.

"53 minutes ago
As the other Mike Kelley I feel compeled to present an opposing argument.

It’s not in a maker’s interest to announce new products like that – while details of the iPhone did leak, there were serious consequences (people were fired). Apple is VERY closemouthed about any new product just like any responsible company and for a good reason – as everyone here notes, you wouldn’t buy the old product if you knew the new one was emminent.

A company HAS to continue to sell its products and announcing a new product that will undercut sales before the product is available is a terrible move. If I had stock in such a company I’d be appalled. Yes, there is ALWAYS a cutoff where customers might have waited a day/week/month and gotten something better, but if you trace that argument backwards you’d never sell anything.

So – boo hoo. I have zero symphathy for anyone who feels wronged by this, because those folks just don’t understand the business world (and have obviously either never had their own business or run it poorly). The true bottom line is ALWAYS – buy only something that does what you want. If it doesn’t do all you want, don’t buy it until it does.
Mike “ex-genius” Kelley"

I disagree with this mentality.  What should be in the maker’s interest is what is in the customer’s interest.  Launching a new product line 7 months after the previous line without announcement only serves to alienate those who have invested in the previous product. If the current version of the player truly could not possibly do netflix because of hardware limitations, then the new product line should have been announced ahead of time, and should probably have arrived to the market later, with more features.  Releasing it now with only 2 differences between the previous product just makes it look like WD considers their own products to be throw away items, rather than a good investment.

You compared this to a Apples products.  Apple is closemouthed about what their new products fully contain, but they definitely tell people that they are coming before they make the announcement.  Also, do you remember when Apple released the iphones for $600, then dropped the price to $400 weeks later?  They had public outcry, and offered to credit the difference in price back to the customer.

Apple also has the benefit of an extremely loyal fanbase.  They have done this by releasing solid products that are relatively trouble free and easy to use. They do not release a new iphone every 7 months just to fix 1 problem and add 1 feature.  When they do release a new version, people are willing to upgrade their phones because the new phones have so many new features and because the previous product was so impressive. WD TV Live is nowhere near as solid or streamlined, it is very buggy, and sometimes takes some technical expertise to get it to work properly.  

Digital Media Players are a relatively new item to the market.  They aren’t extremely well known or sought after like cell phones are, they don’t have a proven history.  However, there is suddenly a lot of competition for this market.  WD TV, Boxee, Google TV, Popbox, Popcorn box, asus O!,  AppleTV, etc… and I supposed you have to include the Xbox360 and PS3 (both of which now have netflix support even though they did not come with it, no hardware update required).  Even the TV I bought has usb ports which I can use to connect digital media sources.

WD should be marketing their WD TV LIVE players as a product that will have a long life.  Since they are internet capable, They should be a product that receive periodic fixes, updates, and new features. Instead they have established themselves something you buy now, and throw away 8 months later when a new version comes out.  For the $150 pricetag the consumer would be smarter to buy another product line, or invest in a HTPC. 

I would urge anyone who purchased the WD TV LIVE in the last 30 days to return it.  Either to trade for the new version, or to invest in another product altogether.  I bought mine in January, and have been plagued with bugs and random errors.  I have since put together an HTPC and was planning to use my WDTV Live in another room to stream content from my HTPC, but now that I know how WD’s product updates will work, I will be returning it to the store tomorrow.  Luckily I purchased from Costco, and they have a no questions asked extended return policy on electronics.

I wouldn’t care so much if the new one had built in wifi and could see that they needed to introduce a new model but they could have offered an netflix firmware upgrade for a 5-10 cost to add that feature instead of a whole new model that only adds the netflix support.

This is what somebody from WD says:

Additional hardware and hardware provisioning was required to support premium protected content. 

-ScottWD

WDTV Live plus:

Supports DVD Navigation - View all the content included on your DVDs, including complete menu navigation, chapter listings, special features, and subtitles.

http://wdc.com/ru/products/Products.asp?DriveID=832

I registered for the community just to voice my extreme displeasure with WD about this. I am very fortunate that I only purchased my WDTV Live 25 days ago. After some quick investigation to pretty much confirm that a firmware update does not appear to be possible/likely I went right to Amazon and started the return process.

It is ridiculous that a company would update its hardware like this without any mention of limitations to previous iterations.

If WD does in fact have the ability to update the Live to Live Plus via firmware they had better make an announcement quickly. At this point I don’t see any reason to support a company that treats its customers like this.

I mentioned this on another forum, but it bears mentioning here as well.  We are all being screwed.  Western Digital put out a press release just ONE month ago talking about the new magical “Play To” Windows 7 function being added to the WDTV Live.  This feature was actually added back in March, but for some reason Western Digital decided to put out a press release about it at the beginning of May.

It has now become obvious that the reason for this is because they were trying to ignite sales and clear inventory before releasing the ‘new’ box.  Existing owners are all being screwed.  Plain and simple.  This isn’t a casualty of tech upgrade-itis, either.  If the box was even a year old I might accept that, but it isn’t. 

http://gizmodo.com/5533233/windows-7-now-supported-by-western-digitals-tv-live-hd

Here’s hoping this means a UK version will launch of this product-BBC iplayer instead of netflix. I wonder if I should sell my live. Links:

1132 votes and counting at wdtv uservoice:

Ideas lab:

Let the BBC know

ScottWD at the “other” Forum say:

“BTW: WD TV Live will have a product update.   I am packaging the update now”

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=6391.msg51839#msg51839

Hope, DVD Menu will come…

Netflix  is useless for me…

My reply is almost identical to bela41’s - I’m only registering to this forum to voice my displeasure with the release of this seemingly rebadged-but-Netflix-enabled device. I purchased the WDTV Live less than a month ago from Amazon with the hopes that Netflix functionality would be forthcoming in an eventual firmware update. As a result of this obvious money-grab-of-a-SKU from WD, I’ll be returning my WDTV Live and will be shopping for a non-WD alternative, not to mention avoiding WD products in the future. The only way to make customer-bilking companies understand that tactics such as these aren’t acceptable is to speak with your wallet.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, and people who bought the iPhone 3Gs at Wal-Mart for $99 a week ago are now pissed off that Apple released the 4.0 a week later.

That’s life in the tech world, folks…

Heck, 6-9 months is a normal life for being on the top shelf.

That others do it does not make it right.

Mikencinc wrote:

OK so they beat the Seagate GoFlex Live to market with Netflix Streaming BUT we’ve known about the Seagate product since January. Being a WD Reseller AND having just bught a WD TV Live for personal use a month ago I’m stunned beyond beilef. If they had just let us know it was in the pipeline. Boy am I hot under the collar right now. I may need to rethink my loyaties.

Might as well wait for the GoogleTV now, that’ll stream all websites under the sun, and so need less from hardware gizmos like WDTVs

whattheheck wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, and people who bought the iPhone 3Gs at Wal-Mart for $99 a week ago are now pissed off that Apple released the 4.0 a week later.

That’s life in the tech world, folks…

Heck, 6-9 months is a normal life for being on the top shelf.

That others do it does not make it right.

Also, anyone who bought an iPhone a week ago has the ability to return it within 30 days for any reason. 

mkelley wrote:

As the other Mike Kelley I feel compeled to present an opposing argument.

It’s not in a maker’s interest to announce new products like that – while details of the iPhone did leak, there were serious consequences (people were fired).  Apple is VERY closemouthed about any new product just like any responsible company and for a good reason – as everyone here notes, you wouldn’t buy the old product if you knew the new one was emminent. 

Except everybody here doesn’t note this - only you.  Do you get christmas cards from WD for being a good friend?

mkelley wrote:

So – boo hoo.  I have zero symphathy for anyone who feels wronged by this, because those folks just don’t understand the business world (and have obviously either never had their own business or run it poorly). 

Do you have shares in BP -  I hear profit is king there.

richUK wrote:

The WDTV Live plus offers Mediafly support.

Google TV supports the entire internet, wait for Google TV :wink: