WD TV Live Plus Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.4.18_B (1/13/2011)

This is a limited public beta release version of the firmware. Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware we are still testing so use it at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with this, please wait for the final version. 

• Resolved USB FW update issue found in 1.04.17_B.
  • Resolved issue with Airlink Golden 150 and D-link DWA 131 Wi-fi adaptors not working with 1.04.17_B.

It is recommended that you do a factory reset and power cycle the device after the firmware update.  Do not contact customer support for issues found with this firmware.  Rather, post your experiences to this thread. 

WD TV Live Plus Firmware Limited Public Beta Release

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvliveplus_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Problems during or after firmware upgrade**  **

Before you rollback to an earlier Firmware (KBA # 5800) or contact Product Support, please try some of these methods to resolve the problem you are experiencing.  Try each method to see if it fixes your issue before progressing to the next method.

The WD TV does not complete firmware upgrade:

1. Retry by using the upgrade FW on a different USB drive. 
  2. Load an earlier FW (KBA # 5800) onto a different USB drive to downgrade, and then try upgrading again using a different USB drive.
  3. Load an earlier FW (KBA # 5800) and then try upgrading via online update.

Network specific issues:

1. Redo Network Setup:  Settings/Network Settings/Network Setup.
  2. Clear your Network Shares logins:  Settings/Network Settings/ “Clear login info for Network Share.”  Then re-login.

All issues:  

1. Reset your unit through the user interface: Settings/System/”Reset to factory defaults”
  2. Hard reset by momentarily pressing a pin in the “Reset” hole on the bottom of the WD TV unit. (This will reset the unit back to defaults without eliminating any media or personal files)
  3. Delete the “.wd_tv” folder from your USB attached Hard Drive using a PC.  Reattach USB to the WD TV

For those of you having trouble with network shares this will not fix it.

I have been sharing information with WD, They have been working hard to resolve the issue.

The last response stated.

“We are currently working on a solution. The information you have provided has been very helpful so far. I will let you know when we have a fix.”

Something new according the Western Digital My Book Essential 3000GB hard drives? My drive will be arriving today and i cant use it at the moment with my WD TV Live player, this is really bad.

Any new beta or estimated time release? Days, weeks, month, never?

Thanks…

This appears to only address the looping problem with .17 and one wireless card.  I am thinking this is not a wholesale update to the software or have any other material differences from .17.

hover wrote:

Something new according the Western Digital My Book Essential 3000GB hard drives? My drive will be arriving today and i cant use it at the moment with my WD TV Live player, this is really bad.

Any new beta or estimated time release? Days, weeks, month, never?

Thanks…

Yes, weeks.

1 Like

hover wrote:

You actually can. Connect it to your PC, and share it as a network location. The WD TV Live will see it as a Network Device instead of local storage. It’s not a permanant fix, but will at least let you use the drive while you wait.

Updated from 1.03.49_B to 1.04.18_B without issue via USB.  Netflix and PlayOn seem to be working fine.  

This fixed my wireless issues.

No other problems found so far.

Thank you for a quick release!

Could anyone confirm that slow-motion/delay playback that occurs after 2-5 minutes of play  on network shares has been fixed in this update?(Playback from Media folders doesn’t have this issue)

Playback on 1.03.49B  firmware  on network shares has no issues.

maximcs wrote:

Could anyone confirm that slow-motion/delay playback that occurs after 2-5 minutes of play  on network shares has been fixed in this update?(Playback from Media folders doesn’t have this issue)

Playback on 1.03.49B  firmware  on network shares has no issues.

If you read the first post in this thread, it looks like this Beta was meant to address 2 specific problems…The USB updating problem (infinite looping), and loss of connection with certain wireless adapters. There were no other changes, so we should not expect any other problems to be fixed with this release.

Hello Scandy,

I have downloaded and istalled the .18_B and  the WD continues in infinite looping. :frowning:

That wd be broke after the upgrade? There is a solution?

Thanks.

Morpheus wrote:

Hello Scandy,

I have downloaded and istalled the .18_B and  the WD continues in infinite looping. :frowning:

That wd be broke after the upgrade? There is a solution?

Thanks.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6543

Roll back to 1.03.29_B - follow the instructions on the above link

Thank you, richUK. I’ll try that.

I am trying this beta version and it did fix the wireless option but it will not connect to the wireless network like it previously did. It will allow you to search for the wireless network but it won’t connect. The only way I can get an internet connection is if I connect it with my Cat 5. Also it seems to randomly reboot. If I am trying to scroll through options and I click the button too quickly it will lock up and reboot. Another time I was trying selected the Mediafly option and it rebooted. I just thought I would share, I don’t know all of the technical terms to use ore ideas to fix it, just wanted to share.

richUK,

Thank you so much. Worked perfectly.

millsrd333 wrote:

I am trying this beta version and it did fix the wireless option but it will not connect to the wireless network like it previously did. It will allow you to search for the wireless network but it won’t connect. The only way I can get an internet connection is if I connect it with my Cat 5. Also it seems to randomly reboot. If I am trying to scroll through options and I click the button too quickly it will lock up and reboot. Another time I was trying selected the Mediafly option and it rebooted. I just thought I would share, I don’t know all of the technical terms to use ore ideas to fix it, just wanted to share.

Try resetting the WDTV by pressing the side button with a paperclip / cocktail stick. Press for 1 second and then release with the unit on and fully booted up. The unit should reboot.

I had a problem with firmware 1.04.17 whereby it would not recognize one of the approved wireless device (ASUS USB-N10).  I upgraded to the beta firmware and that fixed my problem with the wireless device.  I’ve tried most of the basic features (activated netflix, entered a pandora account, played music from a NAS NTFS share, played video via UPNP and via NTFS) and all seem to work . Thanks!

I just went from 1.3.49_B to 1.4.18_B and i am still having issues with slow / choppy playback of VOBs from a network share.   Strange it seemed to work the very first time I tried after the update and reboot.  However, once I setup all my settings, HDMI 1080P etc it broke and played back choppy.  Reset back to factory / toggled power and tried again only changing one setting at time but could not reproduce the playback working.  Every subsequent attempt was choppy.   Also noticed that even though I entered my network share username and login, this update seems to make me click ok each time I accessed my share.   It does not require me to enter the username and password, they were still cached but I still have to select ok.  Can anyone else confirm this network confirmation problem.

That last issue is probably because you didn’t change this setting:  “Auto Login to Network Share” must be ON, otherwise it will ask you to confirm settings every time.   It’s in the NETWORK SETTINGS section, at the very bottom, I believe.

The Default is OFF, so that’s what it set to when you did a “restore to factory defaults.”

thanks I will try that.