WD TV Live Plus Limited Public Beta Firmware Version 1.04.22_B (3/3/11)

Nehptis wrote:

Guy_K,

Are you saying that VOB stutter is not fix in either the Live or Plus firmware updates?

Also, what is the root cause of the problem?  Why does it stutter?

Correct, it is not fixed yet. It’s a side effect of a Samba caching change that was made to improve MKV streaming performance. 

Just upgraded to 1.04.22_B. 

For me the only reason I purchased this device was for wireless streaming of video_ts folders (live music concert videos). The new firmware makes accessing my 2 TB drive extremely slow as compared to the previous .18 version. Also, the videos still do not play, but just get stuck with freeze-frames or play at double-speed with no audio.
I hope this gets resolved in a future firmware release, because it is the only function I require from this device.
Thanks for the help!

Edit:  Moderator, Please move this to the _B thread instead of the _V thread. Sorry for the mixup!

Guy_K wrote:

Dave-DNS-323 wrote:

I’m still getting the stuttering of VOB files over the Network, is it woking for everyone else?

We identified the root cause of the VOB stuttering over network shares issue, and we’re working on it. It’s not fixed in this release.

• *> Guy,> Thank you for your post. Until now, no one from WD has aknowledged an actual issue. The closest response has been that it’s being looked into.> Just knowing that WD has identified the issue, and is working on it, makes me feel a lot better about the product. I will stay at v1.03.29_B until a fix is in place (the latest that works for me)…> I will also volunteer as a pre Beta tester (if you need any), I have years of SQA experience.> > Dave>

.MTS files still do not work.  This problem has been well documented multiple times by multiple users.  I can’t believe they haven’t resolved this issue yet.  The only way to get the files from my Panasonic HD camcorder to play properly is by rolling back to firmware 1.03.42.

With any firmware version after 1.03.42 (including this Beta) the video plays for 15 seconds with no audio, then the video freezes and the first 15 seconds of audio plays, then, finally, the audio and video continue on from there in sync.  This happens with any and all .MTS files I have found.  These same files, however, play flawlessly with firmware 1.03.42 and earlier, so obviously it is possible to make it work.

On a positive note, playback of DVD .ISO files seems to be much more robust.

I strongly suggest you state this as a known issue in the release notes for ALL devices.  But more importantly FIX the problem in this release.

Guy_K wrote:

Nehptis wrote:

Guy_K,

Are you saying that VOB stutter is not fix in either the Live or Plus firmware updates?

Also, what is the root cause of the problem?  Why does it stutter?

Correct, it is not fixed yet. It’s a side effect of a Samba caching change that was made to improve MKV streaming performance. 

Thanks You for this release and the improvements, for example the Netflix problem was fixed it, but the VOB stuttering problem still present, this is something really annoying and everybody is talking about. Billy Joel said It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me, Firmware version 1.03.49_B still rocks…

I know boys you can fix this for the next stable release… give us some love…

Thanks

kcjasem wrote:

.MTS files still do not work.  This problem has been well documented multiple times by multiple users.  I can’t believe they haven’t resolved this issue yet.  The only way to get the files from my Panasonic HD camcorder to play properly is by rolling back to firmware 1.03.42.

With any firmware version after 1.03.42 (including this Beta) the video plays for 15 seconds with no audio, then the video freezes and the first 15 seconds of audio plays, then, finally, the audio and video continue on from there in sync.  This happens with any and all .MTS files I have found.  These same files, however, play flawlessly with firmware 1.03.42 and earlier, so obviously it is possible to make it work.

On a positive note, playback of DVD .ISO files seems to be much more robust.

I have so many video clips for my Sony HD camcorder. I have to stay with 1.03.4x as long as this audio/video synch issue is not resolved with .mts files.

WD, please fix the issue in 1.04.23 before the official firmware is released! :cry:

BTW: I have a WD TV Live and a WD TV Live Plus. The issue exists in both units.

Upgraded to 1.04.22_B from 1.04.18_B with no issues.  Tunein is a great addition. 

Also upgraded to 1.04.22_B from 1.04.18_B with no issues.  

Tunein is a nice addition. Was able to find some of my favorite radio programs easily and they sound very good.

Two minor things I noticed with the beta:

1. In Netflix, my ‘Recently Viewed’ tab is now gone.

2. In the previous version,when skipping a chapter I had to press FF then play to make the progress bar disappear.  In this version (1.04.22_B) the bar goes away after skipping a chapter, but now stays on after fast forwarding.

Otherwise the version works great for me. All of my files are in ISO or DIVX format connected by USB drives.

I still would like to see the duplicate thumbnails filtered out when browsing through network shares. Hope there is progress on this.

Great work WD. Thanks.

That is so great to hear! My wife just suggested that we return the unit for a refund, but I said that we should have faith that the problem would be fixed. It is so good to hear that the problem has been identified and you are working toward a solution.  :smiley:

Waiting patiently with fingers crossed,

David

1.04.22B

VIDEO_TS through samba doesn’t work, video stutters,as was mentioned before, priority #1 for me! No menu’s for episode  DVD’s. Children DVD’s have episodes, navigation is needed. This fix is patiently expected.

As for m2t files - HDV video files, from HDV camcorders, fast forward and rewind doesn’t work , could cause even freeze the unit, interestingly enough, if those m2t files are muxed into mkv, it works.

So mkv , (perhaps only downloaded from web) seems to be be priority for writers of those fw’s, and as I can read, buyers of regular DVD’s and camcorder users (mts, m2t formats) could have problems. I propagate this device wherever I go, as a comfortable and better solution as oppose to Blu-Ray optical disc solutions but after some time and  firmware twisting should I realize that this device is only for mkv downloaders and bit Torrenters :slight_smile:

This release finally plays my DV-movies made in Pinnacle, previously the menu would not show. I can also skip chapters forward but not back it seems. Please get this completely fixed until the public release! Will try some more to see if all my movies now works.

Alexus wrote:

1.04.22B

VIDEO_TS through samba doesn’t work, video stutters,as was mentioned before, priority #1 for me! No menu’s for episode  DVD’s. Children DVD’s have episodes, navigation is needed. This fix is patiently expected.

As for m2t files - HDV video files, from HDV camcorders, fast forward and rewind doesn’t work , could cause even freeze the unit, interestingly enough, if those m2t files are muxed into mkv, it works.

So mkv , (perhaps only downloaded from web) seems to be be priority for writers of those fw’s, and as I can read, buyers of regular DVD’s and camcorder users (mts, m2t formats) could have problems. I propagate this device wherever I go, as a comfortable and better solution as oppose to Blu-Ray optical disc solutions but after some time and  firmware twisting should I realize that this device is only for mkv downloaders and bit Torrenters :slight_smile:

As has already been stated, images of DVD’s do work so its not all about downloaders and bit torrenters. Simply make an .iso of your DVD and you get the whole thing with chapters etc in one file.

I wouldn’t advice to anybody to SIMPLY fix one’s database of movies not knowing how many DVD’s is involved here.

If you remember, year ago, or prhaps more, WDTV models were able to play those episode DVD’s only after changing particular VOB extentions, to get to each episode, so VIDEO_TS was a winner, because there was at least  a chance to play them back at all. If I had ISO’s - I’d be out of luck. So here we go, I was pusched to back up DVD’s this way. I don’t need any advices to change them to ISO’s.

But I understand, that it is beeng worked on this problem so , no flame.

Wow. Cool. I logged in to see if everyone was still bickering about the last update only to discover everyone is now squabbling about the lovely public beta. So many issues appear to have been dealt with that it staggers the mind! And Tune-In is exactly the sort of thing that my wife will love. Well done, gentlemen! Now let’s just get the Hulu Plus support going and the WD Live+ is going to rock my “local” cable provider’s little media hegemony! :manvery-happy:

We will be rolling this firmware live, shortly.  Will close this thread and open another for the firmware release.

1 Like