WD TV Live Plus, firmware update?

Hi, i’m from Argentina and i own a WD TV 1st Gen player. I really want DTS downmix support, so i’m about to buy the new WDTV Live Plus. There isn’t yet any firmware update, is it? Is WD devoloping this matter?

Anyway, is Live Plus the best choice? Or Live is more supported by WD staff? (regarding fw updates).

Thanks!

If you are in Argentina you should get the Live.

The Live Plus only adds Netflix, which isn’t available outside the USA.

The Live is also much more stable at this point, and should continue to get updates since it is what will primarily be sold to everyone outside the USA.

Good luck.

I agree, of course. I’m aware that the only difference between Live and Live Plus is, by now, irrelevant for non-american users. Nevertheless, i’m quite sure that WD team will soon quit WDTV Live fw developement to focus on Live Plus instead. They have already done it with WDTV 1st Gen (fw developemente have been undoubtedly abbandoned, forever). Why should i suppouse that WD Staff won’t do the same in future with Live? I rather spending some few dollars more buying Live Plus, than getting Live and come across with the same issue in the future again. Unfortunatly, WD team is not reliable for me. They have already probed that developement of old devices is left behind.

Does anybody agree?

smrdelj wrote:

I agree, of course. I’m aware that the only difference between Live and Live Plus is, by now, irrelevant for non-american users. Nevertheless, i’m quite sure that WD team will soon quit WDTV Live fw developement to focus on Live Plus instead. They have already done it with WDTV 1st Gen (fw developemente have been undoubtedly abbandoned, forever). Why should i suppouse that WD Staff won’t do the same in future with Live? I rather spending some few dollars more buying Live Plus, than getting Live and come across with the same issue in the future again. Unfortunatly, WD team is not reliable for me. They have already probed that developement of old devices is left behind.

Does anybody agree?

The only functional difference between the LIve and the Live Plus is the addition of Netflix to the Plus. The firmware therefore shares a common base. With the release of the beta firmware for the Live it can be seen that the functions already on the Live plus are being added to the Live. Nobody can read the future but there is no proof (yet) that the Live will be dropped.

I can personally, with 100% certainty, guarantee that support and firmware updates for the Live and Live+ will BOTH end.

But I don’t know when.

The only way you can get a Live+ outside of North America is ordering them from an entity that’s IN North America, that’s then exporting them.  Western Digital is not selling them outside North America, to my knowledge.

The only functional difference between the LIve and the Live Plus is the addition of Netflix to the Plus. The firmware therefore shares a common base.

Rich,

Based on the above wouldn’t any custom FW’s made for the Live also work with the Live Plus? From what I can see this does not seem to be the case and I am curious why.

Thanks for any input!

-P.

Rich,

Based on the above wouldn’t any custom FW’s made for the Live also work with the Live Plus? From what I can see this does not seem to be the case and I am curious why.

Because a requirement for the Live+ to support NETFLIX is to encrypt the entire system and lock it down.

No one has been able to break that (yet), which will be be necessary before any custom firmware works.

I guess it’s entirely possible to redo the firmware for the Live to work on the Live+ but then all the NetFlix stuff will be GONE.

I’ll buy the Plus in the States (i’m travelling next week), and then bring it to Argentina. I really don’t care about the price (i mean: the difference is only a few dollars, it’s not relevant enough -despite the unfavorable exchange jeje-). So, i’m aware of the only difference (Netflix), i am indeed. Nevertheless, i still prefer the Plus, because it’s newer, it offers more features, and i’m sure that WD will focus fw developement on it (more than in Live).

Am i wrong?

smrdelj wrote:

I’ll buy the Plus in the States (i’m travelling next week), and then bring it to Argentina. I really don’t care about the price (i mean: the difference is only a few dollars, it’s not relevant enough -despite the unfavorable exchange jeje-). So, i’m aware of the only difference (Netflix), i am indeed. Nevertheless, i still prefer the Plus, because it’s newer, it offers more features, and i’m sure that WD will focus fw developement on it (more than in Live).

Am i wrong?

Yes you are, other than netflix there are no new features that cannot be gained by installing the beta firmware on the Live. However there is no reason why you should not buy the live plus if thats what you believe.

Thansk Rich.

I see your point and it makes sense. Hopefully some of the geniuses out there can get a custom FW done.

I would have loved to have gotten a regular WD TV Live (ie. not a plus) as my bluray player does have that option and so does my Wii but I received the Plus as a gift and when I wanted to exchange it for a regular live (to use the customs FW that is out there) I was told by Best Buy they no longer carried it.

-P.

Actually, the WD TV Live Plus is being sold in Canada for $129.99 at Best Buy.ca.  This is in reaction to NetFlix announcing they will soon open their movie business to the populace of The Great White North.

Additionally, I can see WD abandoning the Live for the Live+.  It just makes for common business sense.  It wouldn’t be feasible for WD to keep both units on the market if the only difference is NetFlix support (especially when the Plus already supports everything the Live has).

I see only one more official update to the WD TV Live before it’s finally retired for the Plus.  And it’ll probably be before Christmas when it all comes to a head.

We’ll lay wagers…   I’ll bet your wrong.   It’s only being sold in North America.   Why would they discontinue the product for the rest of the world?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

We’ll lay wagers…   I’ll bet your wrong.   It’s only being sold in North America.   Why would they discontinue the product for the rest of the world?

Because it’s better for them!! It’s more efficient to produce and develope only one device (the newer) when it’s an exactly subtitute of the otherone (the older). It’s much more clever to quit Live production, distribution and selling (and, in consequece, fm developement) when a newer device it’s been announced as the “evolution” (it’s irrelevant that Netflix could only be usefull for americans, because Live Plus it’s still better worldwidely -i’m from Argentina, and Live Plus is yet more convenient for me-). Especially when the price it’s almost the same!

If i were WD, i would replace Live for Live Plus worldwidely. That choice optimices production, fm developement and distribution.

My understanding is that THEY CAN’T.   You’d be surprised just how many contracts companies have to sign with Third Party Providers to protect their content.

If NetFlix tells them they can’t offer this for sale outside North America, then that’s the game…

Of course, all this is speculation on my part…

If, in fact they COULD sell it outside NA, then I wonder why they aren’t…

Since we’re throwing caution to the wind, let’s have some fun with this.  Wouldn’t it be interesting if WD came out with another box that would fulfill all 3rd party contracts in order to have only one box worldwide?  This, of course, would mean retiring the Live and Live+.

Hey, I’m eager for a WD TV Live Plus Ultimate Edition!

Jackster, you and me both!

smrdelj wrote:

(it’s irrelevant that Netflix could only be usefull for americans, because Live Plus it’s still better worldwidely -i’m from Argentina, and Live Plus is yet more convenient for me-). Especially when the price it’s almost the same!

How is the Live Plus more convenient to you or indeed the rest of the world. The only difference is the bit that you can’t use.