WD TV Live Plus DVD Main Menu from network shares

I’ve been playing around with DVD’s ripped to VIDEO_TS on a network share and other than the SIGNIFICANT issue of network share media not being filtered by media type when Media Library is enabled, I appear to have found a bug in whether and when the DVD main menu is available when a DVD is played.

Since we know we cannot just press “Play” while the main movie folder is selected - lest we instead “play” the folder.jpg or other files within - current we have to navigate into the movie folder.  There we will see the VIDEO_TS folder plus any other images or files. 

To play the movie from here we can either:

1. Select the VIDEO_TS folder and press “Play”, or

2. Navigate into the VIDEO_TS folder and press “Play” (thus playing from the first file shown).

Either method will start playing the DVD. 

However, if the movie played using method 1,  pressing “Info” brings up a more extensive menu with zoom controls and several other options but Main Menu is disabled.

If the move is played using method 2, pressing “Info” brings up a simple men with Audio, Subtitle and Main Menu options only – and thereafter, the more extensive Info menu cannot be accessed.

This seems rather inconsistent and certainly confused the heck out of me until figuring out what was happening. 

Ideally, I would think that regardless of how the user starts playing the movie the more extensive Info menu, with the Main Menu icon enabled, should be available all the time.

Is this the right forum to report a bug like this?

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request. The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it. However, I would search first and make sure that there isn’t another idea similar to yours that you could add your post to and vote on.

However, as it is, I think the way it’s working was by design.  That doesn’t mean it was a good design.  So, please post it as an idea.

Ideas Lab
http://community.wdc.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/idea

NavyChief:  By the way, MEDIA LIBRARY mode has absolutely NO EFFECT if you’re using Network Shares.  It’s only for USB-Attached Storage.   You may as well just turn it off, unless you do occasionally use USB storage…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

NavyChief:  By the way, MEDIA LIBRARY mode has absolutely NO EFFECT if you’re using Network Shares.  It’s only for USB-Attached Storage.   You may as well just turn it off, unless you do occasionally use USB storage…

and what a shame it is.  i really hope they are still looking into this problem.

it’s one if not my only problem with the LIVE and LIVE+.  if they fixed NETWORK SHARES, it would get rid of the double thumbnail issue as well, which is a major headache for anyone on using the NETWORK feature.

Bill_S wrote:

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request… The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it.

Thanks for the tip.  It’s been submitted as such.  Let’s see if it takes off.

I didn’t jump onto the WD bandwagon until the Plus came out and I picked up two of them.  I was really hoping it would help me set up a system that my wife could use.  All of the reviews I read were great but none of them really mentioned anything like this or the share / folder navigation stuff – which just doesn’t make sense to me for what appears to be a consumer-oriented device.  For SWMBO it’s basically useless.  I’ll keep at least one for myself but the other will be eBay fodder unless usability issues are addressed.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that. :)  As a result I’ll be testing with a local USB HD soon to see how that pans out for wife and family.  I hate to trust all the ripping/encoding work to a non-RAID drive but the originals will be backed up and networked for my personal use so guess it will be covered.

For the sake of your wife it might be better to rip to an ISO. When you play this you will always get the menu and everything is in one big file so there are no mistakes to make. If you put in a thumbnail you will just see the iso file and the thumbnail and you just tell your wife to always play the iso.

NavyChief wrote:

Is this the right forum to report a bug like this?

Based on WD’s reputation for bug fixes, I think the right way to submit a bug/feature request is to write it on a piece of kleenex and flush it down the john. Seems like that will have about as much chance of actually effecting a change.

richUK wrote:

For the sake of your wife it might be better to rip to an ISO. When you play this you will always get the menu and everything is in one big file so there are no mistakes to make. If you put in a thumbnail you will just see the iso file and the thumbnail and you just tell your wife to always play the iso.

I have an IMac running Snow Leopard and a WD Plus. I  am a newbie. Can you give me step-by step istructions re how to play ISO on your TV through the WD device. ie must you first copy the ISO disk image into ta public/shared folder on your Mac? When you play the ISO image what selection do yuo make on the WD Device?Also if I have an external Blu Ray?Drvive Burner how can I play Blu ray through the WD Plus? Thanks

Taken from a MAC forum.

Install
MacTheRipper
DVDImager

1 -MacTheRipper- extract TS_Video. (Freeware) (select RCE 1 for US)

2 - DVDImager- converts TS-Video -> .img. (Freeware)

3 - Rename new .img, Example (Master.img to Master.ISO) highlight name below file icon, rename & hit enter.

4 - In MacOS10: OS asks “Are you sure you want to change extension .IMG to ISO” hit Yes.

i know all that. Also MTR v 4 lets you rip to an ISO image. My question is what do you do AFTER you have the image to play it on your tv using your WD Lve +? Thanks

jwhite83 wrote:

i know all that. Also MTR v 4 lets you rip to an ISO image. My question is what do you do AFTER you have the image to play it on your tv using your WD Lve +? Thanks

You simply play the iso image.

But I believe you need to make your WTV+ “see”’ your computer in the network . To do that dont you need to grant some sort of sharing accessto the computer and WDT+?

I think THIS is what you’re after.

Uhm, I hope you weren’t offput by the website I sent you to.  I wasn’t trying to imply you are a “Dummy.”  That website is one of the first places I go for quick, simple, concise instructions to otherwise complex tasks.

If you took that as a smack, I appologize, it wasn’t my intention.   :slight_smile:

no offense taken. I decided to buy a Samsung networked Blu ray player which does everything the WD + does but also plays blu ray and standard DVDs. Also it has more internet channels. Thanks

Hi,

I would like to know if “WD Live” or “WD Live +” support DVD menu navigation, from .iso DVD image file.

I’m asking because I have tons of DVD .iso image and I don’t want to rip them.

I’m talking of DVD standard, not BR or HD.

Thank you,

Pom

The WDTV Live Plus supports DVD menus and so does the WDTV Live with pre-release firmware. Both are OK with iso files and you can play them via network shares. (not seen by media servers)