WD TV Live Plus and Network Shares

WDJP95 wrote:

Pearl, thanks for the reply, but unless I missed something that is for WINDOWS and I am on all OS X. Unless you can use the same commands for Mac as Windows, then that didn’t help me on finding my Master Browser. That’s one of the hardest things on here with some of this stuff is that the majority of people are using Windows and doesn’t apply to me. I will post back and let you know if this held. Thanks again!

Hmm, didn’t think of that… I don’t get to play around with Apple stuff much these days, but I still have to assume there is some way to detect which machine is the Master Browser since it can be an OSX machine. If you still end up needing to find the MB on you network, here is an option:

If you cannot find any native way via the command utility, you could download Wireshark for OSX. It’s another trick I learned from reading Tony’s posts when I had Master Browser issues. You can use the filter to sort on “Browser”’ and you will see the master browser announcements. It works very well. Here are the links to Wireshark (a killer tool for many reasons) and a link to Tony’s post on how to use the tool from back in 2010. It’ been a tool I have used many times after first finding Tony’s post and playing around with it. The post will explain how to filter and find MB and Workgroup announcements

Wireshark Download Page

How to run WIRESHARK by TonyPh12345

There are several ways to help control a MB election using a Mac and I am guessing you will know this stuff better than I. Once you figure out which box is the MB, you can fix the election either through the UI in Server Admin, or if that doesn’t work, edit the Samba.conf file. It’s been a long time since I had to do this so I will leave more info to smarter minds than mine when it come to Macs.

Hopefully all your issues are already solved, but I still recomend checking out Wireshark if you get a chance. It comes in handy

-P