WD TV Live Plus 1.03.29_B firmware Bugs, grips and Any Pre-release Firmware?

Picked up a new WD TV Live Plus from trhe local bestbuy yesterday . I’ve been playing with it a lot the past day and here’s what I’ve found in the way of bugs that need to be corrected. The order is from major to minor

1 While playing a 2 hour AVI  after about 40-50 min 's the audio becomes noticably out of sync with the video. I’ve seen this issue in past WD TV Live posts and it was corrected with Firmware. but it seems to be back on the Plus unit.

2 While playing short mixed videos (AVI’s mpg’s, Wmv’s and mov’s)  After the first video is over it goes back to the menu instead of playing the next video. Why can’t you have the video  player act like a music CD player when song #1  is over it just continues to song  #2?

3 As work around to the above problem I diiscoverd that if I hit the next button on the remote before the end of the video  it will go to the next video . The problem with this  is that if I have 10 videos and I hit next and watch 7 of the 10 videos this way, when I hit stop and the menu comes up  video #1 is highlighted  instead of  video 7.  If I wanted to to continue watching  videos 8-10  i have to scroll 7 clicks and highlight video #8  and continue this way.

4 When fast forwarding video The transparent black time bar looks cool but  you can’t see the bottom 1/4 of the video! How about either making it clear or having the option for menu colors?

5  I hooked to a old Toshiba SDTV  that  has YPbPn inputs and no matter what settings I tried the TV didn’t like it. Its not the TV because a DVD player works just fine using those imputs.   

6  It seemed to have issues with  Mediafly. Not sure if its the unit or Mediafly.

7 When playing older non supported  video formats , Why should I have to press OK every time it comes up with this message?  Why can’t  the player just  say  “unsupport file format” and move on. The buttons on the remote will quickly wear out  the way the player is setup now.

While this is my first WD TV  unit  and I think the concept of a Streaming Media Player is great  It seems to fall short on the functional video player part. As comparison media player you should look at the Philips  5990/5992 DVD player. While this unit is getting old,  the usb menu system is crude, it has trouble with larger hard  drives  and doesn’t support some of the newer video formats  After all of that It’s usb video player works GREAT! 

The audio doesn’t lag the video,  it goes tro the next video without having to play menu games, The fast forwarding is very good and you can FF up to 32X  instead of 16X.  All it says when its fastforwarding / rewinding is a small symbol at the top of the screen  instead of a giant black bar at the bottom of the screen.  Plus on top of that it doesn’t black out and have to think what to do next for a second  like the WD TV Liive Plus has to do.

As a  Senior EE  with 25 years of experence a bit of advice, Keep it simple but functional.  You have a ways to go.  

token22 wrote:

1 While playing a 2 hour AVI  after about 40-50 min 's the audio becomes noticably out of sync with the video. I’ve seen this issue in past WD TV Live posts and it was corrected with Firmware. but it seems to be back on the Plus unit.

I’m sorry but can you or someone elaborate on that? I was unaware that this issue was fixed, as I have tried every firmware on the WD TV Live and still have this audio sync issue on many different files.

Also, your summary is very well put - why try to intergrate ‘Mediafly’ when you haven’t yet perfected scanning through a file? These devices seem to be somewhat misguided.

I thought I had read on a earlier post the Audio sync issue had been resolved via  a firmware update on the WD TV Live . I guess I was mistaken on this.

Since I’m new here and I don’t have a “Live” but a “Live Plus”.  There doesn’t seem to be many “Live Plus” posts  and I can see where people can get confused between the 2 . I have a hard time believing that such a major issue hasn’t been resolved yet.

All I can say is that unless the issues get fixed  Apple TV 2.0 and Google TV based on android are on the horizon and will steam roll the WD TV. 

^^^ what he said - EXACTLY

Hi token22, welcome to the forum.  :)

I’m also using a Live+ (and have been using my original Live since December 09).

To answer some of your questions:

1.  I don’t have many AVI files of that length but, those that are an hour long play without audio sync issues.  Most of my AVI films are split into 2 x 700MB (<60min) chunks for easy transfer to CD.  They play back fine and also play back seamlessly, which brings me to…

2.  Press the PLAY button instead of ENTER when selecting the first file in a multi-file folder.  It will cycle through all the files in the folder instead of stopping after the first.

3.  Your workaround is unnecessary (see above) but your point about the unit only remember the initial file and not highlighting the last file played is very true.  That annoys me quite a bit but it’s not a deal breaker.  

If you want to scroll down faster, try pressing NEXT.  In Thumbnail mode you’ll move down to the next 12 thumbs, in Preview mode you’ll see the next 8 listings.  :)

1.  That’s just a personal preference and not a usability issue.  :P

2.  Did you change the video output to Component in Settings > Audio/Video > Video output and select a supported resolution?  Sorry if that’s stating the obvious but sometimes people overlook stuff in the menus.  

3.  I’ve tried MediaFly and was able to sync an account easily and view My channels without any significant issues.  A couple of videos / audio streams refused to play but, like you said, it could be the unit or it could be MediaFly.  I’ve watched a few TED Talks via MediaFly now and I’m very impressed with the streaming quality (especially the HD eps).

What specific issues were you having?  Can you list any specific media to help us duplicate issues?

1.  I’m guessing it’s because if you start a non-supported file and look / walk away, you could miss a fleeting message.  Then you’d be complaining that the message should stay onscreen longer / require user action before it disappears.  ;)  

If you press the button quick, the message goes away.  If it’s on a timer, it’ll annoy the hell out of you waiting for it to go away on its own.

1.  I also have a Philips 5990 and it was pretty cool for old Bleach / Naruto episodes but it can’t handle anything approaching HD resolution and has very limited file type support.  The interface was simple but the WD TV Live is (IMO) better in pretty much every way imaginable.  I have literally NEVER been using the Live and wished it did something like the 5990.

PixelPower wrote:> The interface was simple but the WD TV Live is (IMO) better in pretty much every way imaginable.  I have literally NEVER been using the Live and wished it did something like the 5990.

Apparently you don’t use subtitles cause the 5990 (as well as the 3260) totally owns the LIVE in this regard (with vb6rocod’s firmware of course).