WD TV Live Playing very slow with USB Drive HELP!

OK, I thought I did all my research. The WD TV Live Media player had excellent reviews for the most part from Tigerdirect “this thing played everything I threw at it”, and after looking at a bunch of competing products I settled on it because I want two USB drives. I currently have a patriot box office but it only has one. I have 2 Iomega 2TB USB drives and tones of movies in MPEG1 compression. I was watching Transformers when my WD TV came and I plugged it in, it fired up with no problem and I started watching the movie…It was ridiculous. Both the audio and vidio was stop-start, I felt like I was watching streaming video over a freaking modem.

So I had this great idea that I should upgrade the firmware. Thats when I started seeing all the posting about the new firmware completely ruining everyones box.

I don’t care about network streaming, I run everything off USB drives…is there something I am missing? Any Ideas?

Should I just return this[Deleted]  to Tigerdirect and leave a scathing review…I am so pissed that I can’t even play movies!

If the WD had not finished indexing your drives (USB light on WDTV flashing) then that can slow down the drives to the point where they can’t do both tasks.

If that isn’t the case, then please post the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for such a file.

The WD’s should have no issue with MPEG2 video.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Thanks but that didn’t work. The movies are MPEG1, which shouldn’t make any difference. I restarted the WD Player, plugged in my drive saw the USB light come on and waited till it handn’t blinked for about 2 minutes. It didn’t take very long to index the drive and I verified a bunch of the folders.  There is nothing else on this driver and it has over 60GB free space.

I started a movie and it was stop and start from the very beginning…completely unwatchable…

My current firmware version is 1.01.18B

Below is the MEDIAINFO.

General
Complete name                    : C:\Users\Scott\Documents\Miscellaneous\New folder\MOVIE_Title02.mpg
Format                           : MPEG-PS
File size                        : 1.61 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 44mn
Overall bit rate mode            : Variable
Overall bit rate                 : 2 192 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 1
Format settings, BVOP            : No
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 988 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 2 000 Kbps
Width                            : 864 pixels
Height                           : 484 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.190
Stream size                      : 1.46 GiB (91%)

Audio
ID                               : 192 (0xC0)
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 2
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 160 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 120 MiB (7%)

1.01.18? Is that correct?

Nope, sorry, typo…

1.04.18B

I’d suggest upgrading… If it doesn’t work for you, you can always roll back to whatever version you want…