WD TV Live on the way out

Hi,

My WD TV Live Streaming Media Player seems to be on its way out. I liked the simplicity of it and that I could use it as a media server. I am wondering what device you guys would replace it with now that they are no longer made? All I really do is play .mp4s and .MKVs from an external drive. I like that it scans and downloads movie details automatically. It would be nice if the lag between controller and device is less. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If you have an Amazon Fire TV search for it or the Mr.MC app in these forums that makes music and movies play like the WDTV. There are other solutions for more money, but this combo gets the job done well.

I replaced my WDTV’s years ago with a Raspberry Pi 2 (now have a 3 B+) with Kodi installed … plays everything up to 1080p perfectly and has been the most reliable media player i’ve ever owned.

Also have a Android S905X Amlogic Box with Kodi (SD Card Boot to LibreELEC distro) … plays 1080p and up to 4K / HEVC(H.264) / 10-Bit perfectly.

Both devices the Movie and TV Information provider scrapers all constantly updated and working and Media Server / File serving works fine on both devices.

1 Like

I also have a Raspberry Pi 3B with Kodi installed. Works perfectly!!

What makes you suspect your WD TV Live is on the way out?
Mine was purchased in 2011 and only hassle I have had is the remote with the center button failing to respond regularly and even then waited to purchase a replacement (found on Ebay for 24 bucks an OEM remote) and of course having to roll back my firmware when memory bleed became a problem. So tell us your suspicions

Hi there, haven’t posted here much cause really didn’t have to, my WD TV Live player has been great while running on windows 7, using it to watch movies from an external hard drive to my player.
Recently upgraded to a new pc with windows 10 and for the life of me, cannot get the player to recognize my network. I’m going bonkers.

Is it time to move on to another platform you think?

You need to to turn ON SMB1 support in Windows 10.
Select:
All Settings>Windows Features>Turn Windows Features On or Off>Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing support. Select SMB1.0/CIFS Client. I’ve used Windows 10 since it’s introduction and all of my old WD TV Live Players (4 of them) are working perfectly with Windows 10. You can also google “enable smb1 windows 10” for more information.

Thanks for replying. I tried that and the network share option does not up open any trace of my shared folder when I try with the video option on the media player.
Also when I checked off the smb1 box and expanded it, there was 3 other boxes, automatic removal, client and server. Not sure which ones to check. Not a pc guru here by any means, lol.
I appreciate your help.

I have Automatic Removal and Client boxes checked.

SMB 1

I hope this works for you

Nope, it’s like it only sees my c drive and not my external WD hard drive even though it’s shared to everyone. When I push on “Network Shares”, nothing happens.

I even tried plugging my Ethernet cable directly into the tv, same thing. Wondering if it could be a setting on the tp link router I’m using?

Hopefully someone else will come up with a solution for you. Sorry I couldn’t help.

Thanks for helping, I’ll keep on plugging away at it, I don’t quit that easy, lol.

André