WD TV live network media player no sound

Hi all,

I purchased a WD TV Live Network Media Player about a 2 months ago, and in the past 2 weeks I have started having issues with the sound not working while trying to play .avi files. This is the 4th or 5th time I have turned on the unit and come across this issue. The sound does not work from the moment I turn the box on. It does not only affect one file, all of the avi files have no sound, or all of them do have sound if I reset the box with my toes crossed correctly or by blinking the correct number of times (ie if I am lucky enough for it to just decide to work)

I have checked the volume and mute on the TV, the TV has sound, even when opening the TV settings while in the WD menu (the TV is also new).

The WD menus and video of the .avi files display fine, no lag or freezing or purple screens, just clean, soundless video.

The media player is connected to an external hard drive through USB and to the TV via HDMI cable. (aka no wireless, which seemed to be a common problem when I searched the forums and google for solutions)

The .avi files are fine, I am watching them on my laptop with normal sound and video.

I have tried adjusting the stereo settings on the media player, and every other sound and video related setting I can find, with no change.

Previously turning the unit off and on has turned the sound back on, but this is a random solution, it could take 2 or 3 resets or an hour with no fix.

I have not upgraded the firmware, it is still at the factory firmware installation.

I have even spent several minutes (several times, not just once) looking at each button on the media player remote to ensure there is no hidden mute button that I may have accidentily pushed.

As I stated above, I have searched online for an answer, and none seem to fit my problem, or the fixes such as turning off and on do not yield satisfactory or definite fixes. Has anyone else encountered this problem or knows how to fix it?

Thanks,

Matt

Does it work correctly IMMEDIATELY after restarting it, or are you actually having to do a RESET?

There is a chance that turning it off with the remote and/or pulling the power plug out of the back of the unit for 10 seconds does work. I haven’t done a reset by pushing the reset button with a pin, figured they were pretty much the same thing.

sorry, forgot to say that if it does work, it works immediately, there is no delay in the sound coming back. The sound is also at 100% quality, it does not fade in or out.

There’s been a smattering of reports that playing certian videos AFTER playing certain OTHER videos (particularly through the Services menu) will cause that issue.

Other fixes are to play certain OTHER videos with different formats that would restore the sound, and then the AVI would work.

I’ve never had the issue, so I can’t comment further as to why it’s happening…

Tony, I only use .avi files, I haven’t used any other file type with the media player. Are you talking about different file types, or literally just another file, regardless of the type?

At various times in both my failed and successful attempts at restarting the media player I have played a particular avi (its the first on the list) but this last time even that file did not have sound, so I do not think that playing a particular file is restoring the sound in my situation, but thanks for the suggestion.

Matt13 wrote:

There is a chance that turning it off with the remote and/or pulling the power plug out of the back of the unit for 10 seconds does work. I haven’t done a reset by pushing the reset button with a pin, figured they were pretty much the same thing.

no they are different.

pushing the reset pin restores it to a factory state where no problems “should” exist.

pulling the plug should only do a hard reboot and any settings you changed won’t revert back to factory defaults.

also is there a reason why you want to stay of the FW that came factory installed?

upgrading “could” fix this issue.

I tried resetting via the pin earlier tonight with no change, I can’t get sound at all. Also tried restoring factory settings and that didn’t help either.

I assumed that the default firmware that the media player is released with would be the most stable, or that it would at least do the basic things like play video and sound. I think my last attempt will be to try with the old red yellow white plug rather than HTMI, and then take it back to the point of purchase for a replacement (or to be shown where the mute button is hiding). Thanks for trying, I do appreciate that you all took the time to try and help me.

Cheers,

Matt

well if there is no change and you plan on returning it, try and upgrade to the newest FW and let us know if theres a difference.