WD TV Live Media Server Transcoding

Just got a new WD TV Live player this weekend. I was using network share option to connect to my files, but occasionally would run across a movie file that could not be found, came up with a folder is empty message. So I then decided to switch source, same PC and Share, to use connect to media server. Plex is my media server on the same computer that all my videos are on so I used it. I then could see the movie in question and play it no problems.

Plex typically does the transcoding of files then streams them out to devices such as my old roku player. Playing large bluray files would cause my media server PC to actually reboot. So  I wanted to get away from this, hence I bought the WD TV Live box as it does the transcoding. I checked my media server as I watched the movie file and saw that there was no significant CPU usage by Plex. 

I liked the way the files actually had the cover art work for each file while using Plex Media Server as my source, and well my PC that hosted the files did not reboot while playing this large file. So my question is this, if you use a media server as a source for your WD TV Live does it let the Media Server do the transcoding or does it actually take over and do the transcoding by itself?

I bought the WD TV Live box as it does the transcoding.

Actually the WDTV does Decoding (Not Transcoding)

I checked my media server as I watched the movie file and saw that there was no significant CPU usage by Plex.

Probably¬†because the file format of what you were playing is supported by the WDTV ‚Ķ So Plex was simply ‚Äėstreaming‚Äô it ‚Ķ and not¬†transcoding it.

1 Like

Ah so the Plex media server was transcoding for the Roku as the file was not a supported type?  Looks like I will keep the Media Server as the source as it has the content info. So streaming to the WDTV Live is more of a Direct Play option as long as the file is a supported format? Thanks for the reply.

So streaming to the WDTV Live is more of a Direct Play option as long as the file is a supported format?

If the format is a supported file format on the WDTV, then ‚ÄúTranscoding‚ÄĚ is not required.

I use PS3 Media Server ‚Ķ and select it‚Äôs ‚ÄúTranscode‚ÄĚ option when playing WMV2 (Windows Media Video v8)

because the WDTV (and pretty much every other player on the market) doesent support and play it.

1 Like

sasajs >>>  Plex typically does the transcoding of files then streams them out to devices such as my old roku player.

Please explain how you stream to the Roku; the kind of files, etc…  My Rokus are on network, of course, but there seems to be no way to access them.

I have three gens of Roku running in house and would like to do this via Windows PCs.  Some relatives only have a Roku (but no WD player) and I would like for them to be able to stream to their Roku, too (they have a Mac system.)  Thanks.