WD TV Live keeps losing network shares

TonyPh12345 wrote:

deadlock wrote:

As I’ve said before; know your protocols, take packet dumps of what is happening and you’ll see that the implementation is broken.

Can you be more specific?   

I posted this:   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WANTED-Someone-with-Share-problems-after-2-01-86-that-can-run/m-p/639301#M25712

… but no takers.

Sounds like you’ve already done the legwork.  Can you share what you found?

I’ll take a fresh packet dump next week if I make it to work and post the results on pastebin, currently not very mobile because of a leg injury. What goes wrong is the handling of the response after the broadcast message for the master browser in the workgroup. It seems like the device just ignores the response. For example, I have a 12 year old printer in a seperate workgroup which responds to this broadcast as well, this makes the older WD HD TV Live think that that device is the master browser for all workgroups and subsequently it only sees the Brother HL1470N in it’s network environment even though they’re on different workgroups. With the SMP it does not even do that, my server responds that it is the master browser and where a normal Samba client then starts sending it’s information, the SMP does not.

Currently it seems that I’ve worked around the issue by creating a physically seperate network even though I have to wait about 20 minutes before the shares show up.