WD TV Live is not playing my movies!

Hello,

This is my first post! I need some help. I attached two USB HD to my WD TV Live. It all worked just fine. Yesterday i wanted to watch a movie. I selected a movie but then the WD TV Live keeps on loading the movie without playing it.

I have the latest update. Can anyone help me??

1 Like

Welcome to the forums.

Posting the MediaInfo on the movie you tried to play will help a great deal (if it was an MKV we probably already know the answer).

Thanx for yout respons but It doesn’t matter which type of movie i want to play. Before i played MKV, ISO, M2ts, x264 etc. It all worked fine. Now the WD TV Live does the same with all the movies. The WD TV Live starts loading the movie and keeps on loading without playing it!

Then i reset to factory defaults. I can watch one movie and then it happens again!!

One of your movies is causing the WDTV to hang up.

Reset via the side button using a paperclip

reset to factory defaults using the internal menu

unplug the unit from power for some minutes

Do all 3 before using the unit.

Play a known good movie. Post the mediainfo of the movie which first caused the hang up (if you know it)

Hi,

Same thing happens to me too… Bought the unit yesterday and it woked just fine (I also upgraded). Today I wanted to play a movie and it just hangs on the round thingy (this happens for any movie I try).

Gotta say I’m pretty dissapointed with what is happening.

RaduP wrote:

Hi,

Same thing happens to me too… Bought the unit yesterday and it woked just fine (I also upgraded). Today I wanted to play a movie and it just hangs on the round thingy (this happens for any movie I try).

Gotta say I’m pretty dissapointed with what is happening.

You should also do the same as I suggested in the post above yours.

Just did it… worked on a movie I saw yesterday, then I tried the one I wanna see now and it went down again. 

Movie was made with mkvmerge v4.2.0… I just read there is a problem with movie made with mkvmerge over v4 but most of my movies are like this.

What can I do to see them? Will a fix be delivered soon?

RaduP wrote:

Just did it… worked on a movie I saw yesterday, then I tried the one I wanna see now and it went down again. 

Movie was made with mkvmerge v4.2.0… I just read there is a problem with movie made with mkvmerge over v4 but most of my movies are like this.

What can I do to see them? Will a fix be delivered soon?

You have discovered the problem. WD know about it and there should be a fix at some point in time.

You can either:

Download MKVmerge ver 4.0.0 and remux

or

Download the latest MKVmerge, turn off header compression on the audio and video tracks and then remux.

Thanks for helping me… any idea which way is faster? :slight_smile:

Version 4.0 method is faster by about 3 seconds because you don’t have to turn anything on or off…

Right – this is what I said the first time (if you had listened to what I wrote).  Playing a “bad” MKV file is known to cause this, and if you had just posted that info we could have had you up and running quickly.

As to MKVMerge – running it through either one will only take seconds (less than 15 even on a long movie on my i7 machine, although YMMV).  However, since you don’t have to do anything (change any parms) in the older version, I’d recommend you download MKVMerge 4.0 and never worry about it again.

Thanks  for the help. I think my WDTV works just fine now!! I’m a noob when it comes to stuff like this so thanks for the help.

Hello, I’ve tried just about everything. That is, hard reset, soft reset, remove power off the unit; nothing works :frowning:

So much so, it does not even play the movies it used to play. This is very frustrating. Can you please tell when WD will release a fix for it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.

You’ll have to give us more information.  How are you playing your movies – with an attached USB drive, or through your network (and,if through your network, are you using net shares or media server, and wired or wireless)?

Normally, I use a network drive. Also, have a share of my comuter. The network drive (NAS) id D0Link with WD gren 2TB drive. Anyway, just to rule out hat it could be network drive issues. I triel al three connection (i.e. playing through NAS, share off my computer and a direct USB connected drive). NO LUCK!!!

in addition to my last post, everythig (off the network) is through a wired connection. I am using network shares, not the media server. First, it was issues with MKV files only. Now all files (wmv, mov, avi, …) are doing the same thing. I even (as one suggested) after resetting played the avi / mkv file it used to play, before playing the file it had issues with (BTW, all files play fine on my computer) and those files won’t play now.

I even mkv merge to convert the file and play it… NO LUCK!!!

obviiously, there is something worng with the player.

After you reset it (and unplugged it from the power for 10 minutes) does the Live then come up properly (with the menu)?  Are you able to go to YouTube and play any videos there?  What happens, exactly, when you try and play a video from a locally attached drive – are you able to select it and it starts to play, or can you not select it at all?  Lastly, how are you connected to your TV? 

If you are connected via HDMI, please try the composite cable.

I am able to go throuh the menu, can play youtube, can play audio files, and images. Am using component (not HDMI) along with digital audio out.

Its only on videos it hangs up and the “waiting” circle keeps spinning on the screen.

Thanks!

Can you post the MediaInfo on one of your files that won’t play?

Also, on a local USB drive attached, try deleting the small WD file/folder that exists there (reformating the drive would be even better, but I understand it’s not always practical).

If YouTube and still images play it’s unlikely to be  Live problem per se.

how do i get the media info on the file?