WD TV Live Hub stuck to "spinning wheel" when accessing a NAS (Seagate Blackarmor NAS220)

STILL UNSOLVED since 2011-2012: 

WD TV Live Hub gets stuck (showing “spinning orange arrow”) when accessing a NAS (Seagate Blackarmor NAS220).

Now re-opening the case incase someone out there would have found a solution. Updating the firmware has not solved this behaviour. ( EDIT: Confirmed that it has the currently latest firmware 3.12.13 )

My WD TV Live Hub is connected to a home network through a router. In the same network there are several PC’s which it can access and play the content just as it should. So just a normal home entertainment setup. No DLNA or Twonky, just pure shared folders.

There are no IP address conflicts, the units have fixed IP addresses within the same network. A PC in the network can access both the Seagate Blackarmor NAS220 and the WD TV Live Hub just fine.

Everything works fine until I try to access any file using my WD TV Live Hub from a Seagate Blackarmor NAS220 in the same network.

The problem appears when I have my Seagate NAS 220 connected to my home network and access it using my WD TV Live Hub. Initially, I can connect to the Seagate NAS220 and browse its content normally, even start or open a file, movie etc, but the WD TV Live Hub will be soon stuck on that file, it starts to play it but soon becomes non-responsive. During this, trying to stop playback and accessing any other file from the same NAS 220 or any content from any other PC in the network, or even the WD TV Live Hubs internal hard drive, that normally plays, is impossible. The WD TV Live Hub just displays a “spinning wheel” while still stuck on the file it first accessed from the Seagate NAS220.

The WD TV Live Hub plays that same file perfectly fine when it’s located somewhere else in the same network than NAS220. The NAS220 consists of 2x3GB disks, configured as 6 TB JBOD (“Just a Bunch Of Drives”).

The WD TV Live Hub needs a restart to respond normally and while restarting the Seagate NAS 220 must be disconnected from the network or the problem reappears immediately.

Note that I have disabled the "UPnP Port Forwarding" from the Seagate NAS 220 as any other mediaserver functions etc, even the ftp, since I read somewhere that it would solve the problem, but it does not. There must be some incompatibility between WD TV Live Hub and the Seagate NAS 220. Everything works well until they are in the same network and The WD TV live tries to access any file from the Seagate NAS220.

Could there be a way to somehow “firewall” those packets the Seagate NAS seems to send to home network and WD TV Live Hub making it to be stuck?

This is really way out in left field, so to speak…

Do you have a “smart TV” ? In particular an LG “smart TV”.

I have an LG 55LM7600. The bleep thing caused so much traffic on my network trying to access any thing that is DLNA. It’s constantly gleaning the network for changes in media files. I used to run a server (PlayOn) and had to assign a static IP to the TV then block it from the PC running the server to keep the server from crashing.

But, point is, something in your network might be doing the same thing…also worth mentioning, have you searched this forum for the terms “Spinning Arrow of Death” or “SAOD” or “Yellow Spinning Arrow of Death”?

Thank you for the reply, flhthemi, maybe a smart TV could cause a similar effect. But in my case this behaviour happened even before I had any smart TV or any other Blu-ray player etc. It is the Seagate Blackarmor NAS220.

I have confirmed this by unplugging everything else from the network. I even tried removing the router out of equation thus leaving only the WD TV Live Hub and Seagate Blackarmor NAS220 connected directly to eachother by just a LAN cable (it surprisingly works maybe because they both have been configured to have a fixed IP in the same subnet).

So like this my WD TV Live Hub can directly access the NAS and browse the files on it. Playback works too, but again only once and within a short time. Soon the problem arises as described in the opening message. The WD TV Live Hub plays that file but only once, and only if left alone (any ff/rw etc. makes it immediately unresponsive ). Then it gets stuck and unable to open any other file, even from its own harddrive (just showing a spinning orange arrow endlessly). Only shutting the power off and rebooting without the Seagate Blackarmor 220 NAS connected takes it back to a normal state. 

So the issue is just between the WD TV Live Hub and the Seagate Blackarmor NAS220. All the additional functions on the NAS have been disabled. No DLNA, no Twonky Media server, no upnp port forwarding, no nothing. Just network share giving me all the structured folders I need. This works well with other computers and HTPC systems with Kodi/Openelec. WD TV Live Hub would be a nice addon if it would not get stuck.

Replaced the Seagate Blackarmor NAS220 with a Synology NAS model. No problems after that. So the WD TV Live Hub had a problem with Seagate Blackarmor NAS220. Confirmed.