WD TV Live Hub - Noise

Hello, i just got the  “WD TV Live Hub”, the machine works perfectly but i notice a noise coming from the fan a deep noise is that normal?

Thank you.

The mine is very quiet sorry for you…

Well, that’s subjective.  ;)   Yes, the fan will make noise.   Mine is quite a bit quieter than my Laptop.   

Is it possible your fan ingested some debris?

When I installed the unit in our bedroom I thought it was the perfect place.

It’s the only room that doesn’t have a DLNA TV.

Didn’t bother me very quiet compared to many other products that I have owned.

I did go into the set up menu ant turned OFF the front light.

Not so popular with the wife.

She kept pilling close on it.

So I put black electrical tape over the LEDs on the Cat6 port.

And when she goes to bed I turn the unit off by pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds.

Not sure if you can still copy to the drive when the unit is OFF.

But the fan defiantly turns OFF keeping the room very quiet.

In fairness to the WD TV Live Hub.

I also had to put tape over my VIZIO TV.

And our Time Warner Box.

It would be nice when companies make products like this they give you the option to run them in quiet mode.

Are you sure it is the fan and not the HD. Have you opened the device up or stuck a small pin through the grid to stop the fan turning?

Yes you can copy files over when “off” but there are two “offs” A simple press of the standby button mean the unit hibernates (for want  of a better description) and a long pres of the button actually turns the HD off. You can hear the difference sometimes as the HD winds down. It also seems that the device has a wake on LAN function so you may be able to wake the HD up from the PC by dragging the files over.

I was wondering about that.

So when I hold down the power button on the remote and turn the unit OFF (Not sleep)

I just wait for my wife to fall asleep.

Then when I see that drive is available it turns back ON.

So much for me being a nice guy,

Maybe I should think about swapping my WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub.

I can hear mine no problem across the room and even when watching a show at low volume.

Pretty sure this ain’t normal.  I might have to go exchange it but no looking forward to have to re-copy all my files to the new hard drive.  That thing is so slow it takes forever.  

I can almost compare it to the XBox 360… the original.

Fan is terrible noisy for me too. I immediately welded a 100Ohm resistor in the black wire.

Works fine now. :smileyvery-happy:

ralphberner wrote:

Fan is terrible noisy for me too. I immediately welded a 100Ohm resistor in the black wire.

Works fine now. :smileyvery-happy:

Is that because its not really working now.

Instead of asking me silly questions, you better tell the developement team to do a propper job.

ralphberner wrote:

Instead of asking me silly questions, you better tell the developement team to do a propper job.

Whats silly about the question. You have added a resister which obviously cuts the speed of the fan down and therefore its possibly not working correctly, if at all.

DRESUS,

dreussow wrote:

Maybe I should think about swapping my WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub.

Swaping your wife for the WD TV Live HUB?

I can give you two reasons, why the question is silly.

1.) I wrote “It works fine now”.  Is there something unclear with that statement? That are just four quite simple and short words.

2.) You obviously think i’m stupid enough not having tested it after the modification and i’m stupid enougt having written that it works fine though it woudn’t work at all.

ralphberner wrote:

I can give you two reasons, why the question is silly.

1.) I wrote “It works fine now”.  Is there something unclear with that statement? That are just four quite simple and short words.

2.) You obviously think i’m stupid enough not having tested it after the modification and i’m stupid enougt having written that it works fine though it woudn’t work at all.

Oh Dearie me.