WD TV LIVE HUB external hard drive takes ages to recognise

When i attach my wd portable elements 1tb external hard drive to my WD TV LIVE HUB it takes around 5 mins for it to recognise it they both flash for ages then appears for me to access it.

Any way i can stop this or is there an update you can do to stop this.

Any help will be most useful.

Yep, I went thru the same thing. I think one of the reasons it’s so slow is because the media manager is trying to do its thing to the files on the external drive. Try disabling the media manager prior to connecting the external drive. Then after transferring your files, enable it so it can update your new files.

Thanks for your response, the media manager is turned off, the files i have on my external drive stay on there so when i want to watch stuff on it i plug it in but have to wait ages.

*BUMP*

Ok, so what is “Ages?”

Up to 5 mins before the drive is recognised/appears on the list. Media is off

Yeah, that’s not a media library issue.   Not sure exactly what that’d be…  Even while the media library is being compiled, it should still be accessible to some degree.   

Also when media is on should it not remember a drive instead of searching it as a new drive and re-categorising everything it’s a bit sucky, I have 3 1tb drives with data on that I plug in and watch at various times (all wd elements portable) and it takes ages to show up so quick viewing is a no no

Oneflanagan wrote:
Also when media is on should it not remember a drive instead of searching it as a new drive and re-categorising everything it’s a bit sucky, I have 3 1tb drives with data on that I plug in and watch at various times (all wd elements portable) and it takes ages to show up so quick viewing is a no no

Yeah, that’s hard to say.   How would it know if something were added or deleted?   Well, it’ has to look at everything it KNEW to see if it’s still there, and it has to look at ALL files on the storage to see if anything is NEW, right?  :)

*BUMP*

Please guys any ideas, is it the elements drive, is it the 1tB thats causing the problems is there an update that might help.

It takes 5 mins to recognise the device when i put a 1TB elements portable drive into my machine.

Hey!

I have two WD drives attached to my Hub. One is a 1 TB “my book”, the other is a 2 TB “essential.” I safely ejected my 1 TB WD two days ago. The player immediately started flashing. I could still access my media files and play them – whether on network share or local to the hub. I could still access the shared Hub files from my PC as well.  At the top of the screen was “compiling media library”…

I left the WD player on overnight. The next morning it was still flashing with the same message. I left it alone yesterday all day and all night. This morning it was still flashing.

BUT there was also a new firmware update. I considered performing a system reset, but I figure that would wipe out all the media on my internal drive, so I didn’t do that. Instead, I chose to clear the media library and then I turned off the media library option.

I performed the firmware upgrade, left the media library option turned off, and reconnected my 1 TB “my book”… The WD hub flashed for about 30 seconds and stopped. I can access all the media on both drives and network shares without this feature turned on. For now, I’m hoping I don’t have to use it. I try transferring file from the network to it and see if I have a noticeable performance change.

I have a  WDBAAU0020HBK  USB 2.0 2TB Elements external drive connected to the WDTV Live HUB with Media Library tuned OFF and it takes about 2 mins to show up in the content source selection list during a cold start (Power off) it can take more than 5-10 mins if you have Media Library turned on and even more if you have setup USB sync option!

I personally think that it depends on the number of folders and files that it has, Mine has about 200-300 files, and it sure does have to parse the folders for view on the user interface for selection, not to mention it has to create .wdtv folder and create thumbs for each and every file that it finds! it takes a lot of time to do that the first time.

It is something not very desirable and a lot slower than the previous generation like WDTV LIve/Live+ but what you do gain in the end (after a brief period of wait) is sorting capabilities from the user interface, like sort alphabetically etc; etc;

Now why it takes so much time even when Media Libaray is turned off is beyond me.

This whole Media Library is kinda finicky at best, If you do not have Media Library turned on, you loose a lot of cool features like Cool backdrops, sorting and Disk Aggregation, But why certain things like RESUME playback works for certain file types and not for DVD is another story!

Looks that when WD designed this WDTV LIVE HUB they thought no one will ever power this thing OFF ever! or eject the external HDD out the USB port, It seems that  it was designed to work 24hrs with the Internal HDD in mind and nothing else!

You are not alone my friend  :neutral_face: 

— Hope this helps!    

I tested deleting files from the 1 TB “my book” connected to the WD HUB. Deleting 84.7 GB took about 3 to 4 minutes from one of my network PCs running Windows 7. This is with Media Library and Syncing turned off.

I then moved a 10 GB media fileset to the 2 TB “element” drive connected to the WD HUB. That took nearly 30 minutes. For the first five GBs, I left the player on. I successfully watched a chapter from a bluray copy, a chapter from a DVD, and surfed Firefly watching the latest Mercedes commercial. The first 5 GB took around 17 minutes.

I then turned the player off for the last 5 GBs. Windows claimed to copy a little quicker 7.25 MB/s vs. 6.xx MB/s. And finished a little quicker (13 minutes). Since I don’t normally copy from one PC to another PCs external shares, I’m not sure how slow this is. Usually file transfers from PC to PC average about 1 GB per minute or slower. This is more than twice that. Although I don’t have another “real world” comparison on my network. And I don’t really desire to set up external hard drive shares on my network PCs.

Of course, I want all the features – working. Therefore, I will turn on the “Syncing” and “Media Library” features now to both the local storage and network shares. Will my WD HUB begin “compiling media library…” for days?

I’ll let you know.

I just bought my WD TV Live Hub after discovering that my WD My Book Essentials 3 TB wouldn’t work with my WD TV  Live.  So, I plugged in my 3 TB USB and my 2 TB USB into  WD TV Live Hub.  Video after video wouldn’t play: Doesn’t support that format. 

When I looked on my PC network, those files had 0 kb.  Could this be a problem with a delay in recognizing the drives? (I just turned off Media Library, unplugged the 2 TB, plugged in the 3 TB to see if will fix the problem.)

Anyone else have similiar issues?

Hey!

Don’t you just love this device? May God bless the whole WD team.

Last night it took 2 hours and 15 minutes for the player to stop blinking with the two WD drives attached. I had media sharing on and “auto sync” turned on. The WD HUB asked if I wanted to sync both external drives…to which I said no. I can live with a couple of hours of flashing. My WD HUB is a 4 TB NAS mostly full of media.

I have the latest firmware.

After the WD player finished flashing, I tried to access one of my network shares from the player. It wouldn’t log in to the server. It gave me an error about invalid username and password. Yet this was working before the firmware update and turning media library on and off. I left the player on all night.

This morning I rebooted that Windows server. Then I went to the WD player to see if it still recognized the drives it “flashed” over last night. To my surprise, the player started flashing again. On screen, I got the “compiling media library…” When I looked at the source, it was trying to “flash” the network share I couldn’t connect to last night.

It continued to flash for 45 minutes. Now the player can access that Windows server without flashing. Also, it looks like I can access media on the local drives attached to the HUB.

I will now see if I can add each server’s sharing (Windows 7) and see how long it takes.

Listen to this response from WD Tech Support!

I understand your frustration that you are encountering some issues with using your WD My Book as a capacity expander for your WD TV Live Hub. I’d like to inform you that the WD TV Live Hub already has 1 TB of drive space built-in. If you would like to attach additional storage to your WD TV Live Hub, the largest capacity drive you may attach through the USB port is 1 TB. If you have just bought the drive you may inquire with the Place of Purchase about their return policy and get a WD DVR Expander instead since those are the drives optimally designed to work with most media players. The WD DVR Expander has a 1 TB capacity.

MY RESPONSE TO HIM:

Your answer is not true: I have my WD 2 TB plugged into the other USB slot and everything works fine.  Again, your website lists the 3 TB as compatible: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5688&p_created=1282238323&p_sid=GvRxBCgk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=5688&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MjA4LDM0MiZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTIuMzQyJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y29tcGF0aWJsZSBkcml2ZXM!&p_li=&p_topview=1#harddrive

Additional information: the TV Live Hub Disk Manager reports the 3 TB drive with a total capacity of 750 GB, but the 2 TB reports correctly.

You can’t keep doing this to people! I spent $220 to upgrade my WD TV Live and ended up with a downgrade!

Actually, you need to reformat the 3 TB with our formatter for it to work on the WD TV.  The WD TV’s don’t read GPT partitions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5767