Wd tv live hub alternatives

Great, that’s a step in the right direction.  I’ll keep an eye out for the activity.

Sorry for beating up on you a little but, having to drag info out of folks I’ve laid down good coin to is a pet peeve of mine.

GCG

It’s all good.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but when it comes right down to the nitty gritty of things I really do like my WD Hub and Live boxes. I’m sure when I say I just want them to be as good as they can be not many of you would disagree. As a consumer WD expects that I will not understand most of the mumbo jumbo which has been very well expressed in this thread. I have been “enlightened” and “educated”. My Hub, however, still isn’t doing it’s best and I want it to. That’s the bottom line, for me. So I’m sticking with them.

I posted the info about other products because the OP asked a simple question, what else is there? Didn’t mean to open a big bag of snakes. :slight_smile:

flhthemi wrote:

I posted the info about other products because the OP asked a simple question, what else is there? Didn’t mean to open a big bag of snakes. :slight_smile:

I did warn you.:smileyvery-happy:

It’s good to air things out once in a while.  Tough love is still love.  I’m with you on the platform, best potential at the price point.  Just gotta keep WD’s feet to the fire to chase down the rabbits and put out the fires.

After that and the word gets out … their market share oughta spike.  And that’ll just be good for everyone.

GCG

If I found a box that did Netflix, had a 1 TB drive in it, two usb ports AND had a decent audio player interface, I’d be GONE from WD in a heart-beat

Love the 1TB drive

Love Netflix

Love the USB ports

HATE the audio player interface.

Could not care less about the rest of what it can or cannot do.  

YMMV  

Thanks very much  Bill for this absoutely invaluable insight…

…It’s really important that ’ WE’ feel that, in fact  WD do actually ‘LISTEN’ to our ’ constructive’ comments and   'feedback’ upon the product and firmware.

I await further news soon with intrepid anticipation! :smiley:

Thanks again WD Bill

1 Like

You’re welcome. 

Thanks Bill…

… I just hope that the GOOD news is coming pretty soon:wink:

Couple of weeks is very flexible answer!!! We waiting years to see moviesheets in that firmware. since it can just using one variable and to cache the image! Like a fleuve was explained in another thread! Why that is soooo dificult?! Years we waiting for that! And now again we hear “couple of weeks”! We want something more specific! Like what will be plan to be fixed! Especially that is important for theme developers!

Personally, I am happy with Bill_S reply and respect him for taking the time to provide us with information.

By using the word  the " we"  in your rant, it implies you are speaking on behalf of all of us.

Please consider editing it to   “i”  then you are speaking for yourself.

i believe that not only “me” want moviesheets to be posible in the firmwere! If you dont want moviesheets to be implemented just say. But is not onle me want that! Thats why i say “we”!

Quote:

i believe that not only “me” want moviesheets to be posible in the firmwere! If you dont want moviesheets to be implemented just say. But is not onle me want that! Thats why i say “we”!

Ok then… “I do not want moviesheets to be implemented”    :smileyvery-happy:   LOL 

it’s the “WE” in your whining about it,  and lack of respect  to Bill_S who is the WD Forum Community Manager… that provided the updated information.

In order for me to care less about moviesheets, it would take effort.

Iam not disrespect Bill_s. I just want to say “I” was pay fro that device so i deserve support! I dont get it on here or anywhere else! That is not advantage to WD!

I’ts not big deal for moviesheets! If they not implement them just i will not more buy WD products since there is really no support! I will buy some of alternative! Good luck to all!

I’d be OK with giving Bill the benefit of the doubt and the two weeks (or so, I don’t have him on a stopwatch).  But then, I do think it’s time for steady progress and full communication.

If it’s not obvous what somthing is – don’t bother.

Increasing performance is key. For example, I’ve read that even the new WD boxes can’t play H.264 encoded at more than 16Mbps. My years old WD box was simiarly limited. For 1080p60 one needs at least 28Mbps. For 1080p30 or 720p60 – 24Mbps is required.

Why no simple browser? How about a Google search? Why no Torrrent downloader?

DVCinLV wrote:
…For example, I’ve read that even the new WD boxes can’t play H.264 encoded at more than 16Mbps.

• *Absolute hogwash…

DimitarCC wrote:

Iam not disrespect Bill_s. I just want to say “I” was pay fro that device so i deserve support! I dont get it on here or anywhere else! That is not advantage to WD!

I’ts not big deal for moviesheets! If they not implement them just i will not more buy WD products since there is really no support! I will buy some of alternative! Good luck to all!

I’ve read the complete post and I find yours the funniest.

Yes, you paid for the box and I am pretty sure the box works very well for you unless you tell me that something don’t… but I don’t think that’s the case.

You are basically “bashing” because the community, not WD, made something interesting (moviesheet) but are now stuck because of some limitation by the machine that WD either can’t, or has trouble to or won’t fix. It’s like “bashing” against a software developper because a mod a user made doesn’t fully work. It makes no sense at all. I know you are furious because the “png” workaround seems simple, but what if that wasn’t the case? I, and a vast majority of people that comes here which uses custom template, want the issue fixed too.

The only “problem” WD has right now,and it’s nothing against Bill_S since he’s basically doing his job, it’s that there is no indication at all if the issue will be solved one day. The issue has been in the WD TV Live Hub Issue Reporting for a while but the community didn’t get an update since 5 months and a several FW update has been released since then. This is my only “problem” with the product : They “created” this subsection of the forum to get user submitted bugs or issues but there is little to no conversation about it.

Anyway, I love my hub even of the thumbnails looks horrible. The only reason I want WD to resolve the problem is to not loose those valuable contributors lire JoeySmith, Tinwarble, architectonic and every other notable contributors to this community. The online community is what define a product and a strong community only makes a product better.

thepanoguy: This is an excellent post.

Although I did not know this, I suspected this is the case. I would like some more information on this.

I was always wondering why it takes Massively powerful intel/amd/nvidia chips to power H264/AVC video and a tiny SoC can do the same thing without breaking a sweat.

Also, the streams are 25Mb/s+ and I am wondering does the speed of the chips matter? I am sure there’s more to it than simply transferring an electrical signal to a vieable image when we are talking Compressed video in an MKV or Mp4 file.

Surely this requires some processing power?

Does the Sigma chip deal with the Linux backend or is it simply another processor that runs the OS?

Your post is very informative but I need more information on how this works. It’s quite interesting and I am looking forward to your response :slight_smile: