WD TV Live Hub - 2012/2013 2nd Gen hardware update?

Hi all, I’m looking to get one of these, ideally with a bigger internal disk.  I’m aware of the option of plugging external memory but would prefer just a bigger internal hdd.  

According to wiki, the live hub was released in 2010.  I couldn’t find any info on any impending update, anyone know if there’s one on the way?

Thanks

It would also be good to see this have USB 3.0 for faster transfers

No one here knows.  WD doesn’t pre-announce products.

A search would have found one of the many other threads just like this. We won’t know about it until it happens. WD is very tight-lipped on upcoming product releases or updates.

What about leaks, do you get any leaks leading up to an update, a la another company who doesn’t pre-announce, Apple?

Yes, I saw a “rumor” a while back.

Verrrrry interesting stuff.   Took me a while to remember where I read it, but here it is:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1283694/official-wd-tv-live-hub-thread/1110#post_20107784

@TonyPh12345

Yes, I saw a “rumor” a while back.
Verrrrry interesting stuff.   Took me a while to remember where I read it, but here it is:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1283694/official-wd-tv-live-hub-thread/1110#post_20107784

LOL  :laughing:

I’ve actually seen the line card for the new “Play” unit on display in the media player section of Best Buy for about a month now - without stock of course.  Has nothing interesting on it except a picture of the unit and some VERY general features that are identical to the current boxes.  This is the same one that surfaced on Engadget from the FCC I believe.  Still seems more games focused (could care less about that personally)…

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/18/wd-tv-play-media-hub-revealed-by-the-fcc/

the avs thread sounds absolutely rediculous, I don’t think that will ever happen

the engadget link on the other hand, possible

WD has a history of releasing a new player every couple of years

I personally would expect one, just don’t have any idea what it will be, or when

KAD79 wrote:

the avs thread sounds absolutely rediculous

If you read it (the post, not the whole thread) all the way to the end, you’ll see why.  ;)

I heard the next Gen HUB will have a beer launching mini-fridge…:smileyvery-happy:

I would vote for a hard drive that you can remove…like our old FreeAgent+ but not limited to a WD drive in a particular case. Open a panel, pull the drive type deal. I’ve been thinking about modding my Hub’s cover to be able to do this.

@flhthemi

I would vote for a hard drive that you can remove…

Isn’t that what the USB connections are for ? For Plugging in and Removing External HDDs ?

like our old FreeAgent+ but not limited to a WD drive in a particular case

Not sure what that means ? … I plug in Seagates, Toshibas, Samsungs HDD’s and all are recognized by the WDTV Live Hub.

Not much of a fan (sorry to say) of Seagates old “Caddy HDD” System (Which Physically limits what type of HDD will fit … Except a Seagate Drive of course)

The FAT+ has both USB ports and the “Caddy HDD”, so it was (with a drive installed) the same as the HUB as far as drives are concerned, just what would be the internal drive on the HUB would be removable.

I don’t like the idea of using that style because then you would be stuck with one drive type.  But being able to eject the internal drive on the HUB and being able to replace it with say a 2TB Green drive would be nice.

Also, being able to eject it so you could plug it into your PC would be nice when copying large amounts of files.

Tinwarble wrote:

The FAT+ has both USB ports and the “Caddy HDD”, so it was (with a drive installed) the same as the HUB as far as drives are concerned, just what would be the internal drive on the HUB would be removable.

I don’t like the idea of using that style because then you would be stuck with one drive type.  But being able to eject the internal drive on the HUB and being able to replace it with say a 2TB Green drive would be nice.

Also, being able to eject it so you could plug it into your PC would be nice when copying large amounts of files.

Exactly where I was going with this. Just a little cover that would open on a hinge on the end of the case and a little tab attached to the drive to tug with would have been fantastic for moving files to it. Much better than wearing out the plastic tabs that hold it on. It’s great to take it out and hook it to the PC for massive file transfers and for Thumgen as well!