WD TV Live Hub 1TB Vs. 2TB

I’ve had my 1TB WD TV Live Hub for awhile now, and noticed that there’s now a 2TB version. Other than the larger hard drive, are there any differences (Hardware or software) between the 2 models?

Not as far as we can tell? They have the same basic model number except for the hard drive designation and they are advertised by WD as a hard disc option.

What kind of hard disk is inside the wd live tv hub 2tb?

Due the size constraints and the fact that its 2TB then its likely to be a WD green.

It is WD Green

Also see my other post for the other differecenes

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy a 2TB Hub to replace a 1TB Hub.  All you gain is 1TB.  Better to just to add capacity (leave the 1TB in there) and buy an external drive of 2TB or so.  Now you have 3TB instead of 2.

Well

It does make a lot of sense to buy a 2TB Hub to replace a 1TB Hub.

Why?

WD Hub is slow on access an external HDD.

You have to turn on an external HDD. No remote

There maybe a remote controlled external HDD enclosure but I have never see one.

External HDD get hot unless you have an enclosure with a fan. Then you have to deal with noise.

Now

It would be nice if WD Hub was USB 3 but that would take a whole new product line.

I saw your other similar reply in another thread, and you need to understand a bit more about external drives:

True, if you put a bare external drive in an enclosure, it is problematic, because there is no controlling software on the drive to make the drive go into idle/sleep mode.  A bare drive has nothing installed on it from the manufacturer.  So, the drive either spins 24/7 or not at all if turned off.  On the other hand, an external drive that comes within it’s own external enclosure usually has software that enables the ability to go into idle/sleep modes in five minutes or so, (this can be adjusted on the Seagate drives).  See Seagate drives that use the Seagate Dashboard software to set the sleep time).   I have both kinds of externals, and the ones connected to my WD player are in their own enclosures (they are older Hitachi drives) and they are “on” but just sit there idle until they are accessed by either the WD or by any other networked device that can access them.  It takes them about 5 seconds or so to spin up and be ready to use.  This is not a long time.

I only connect drives to my WD that have a sleep mode function.  (These can be 3.5" drives or 2.5" “portable” drives.)  The bare drives I have put into external enclosures are used only for backing up stuff:  I turn them on, back stuff up on them, and then turn them off.  Check into the Seagate Backup Plus line of drives.  WD likely has similar drives (I think the Elements line has an idle/sleep mode.)

Welll

Before the HUB came out I used LIVE (non HDD) it was never as easy as a HUB. And that is what your talking about a LIVE. I have 2 of those puppies both are on a shelf.

I am talking about any HDD connected to anything.  A drive that has an idle/sleep mode spins down after a period of time, one that doesn’t have this feature never spins down and goes to idle.  Bare drives do not have this feature; only certain drives in their own enclosure do…

Any details on the specifics of the Green drive?

SATA 2 300 Mb/s : SATA 3 600 Mb/s?

Is 2TB the limit or are the 2.5 TB and 3 TB versions supported?

Could the image from a 1 TB Hub be transfered to a 2 TB (or larger) and placed back in the Hub and work?

This is the drive range.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=830

2TB is the limit on that drive.

You could certainly transfer the files from the 1TB drive and transfer them to the 2TB.

You may have to use the Hub format routine for the drive to correctly function.

My mistake on the 2.5 and 3 TB drives.  They were 3.5" format and listed with the others on the CDW search I did.  If I go to 2 TB I’ll probably image the drive with Acronis and transfer it that way.

Thanks,

GCG