WD TV Live Hub 1 TB Media Center vs WD TV Live Plus 1080p HD Media Player

I was comparing the 2 models and wanted to know if the first one is 1080p compatible?  I looked at the specs but could not find specifically where it was.

Western Digital WD TV Live Hub 1 TB Media Center

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Live-Media-Center/dp/tech-data/B004GK0GKO/ref=de_a_smtd

Western Digital WD TV Live Plus 1080p HD Media Player http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MVZ60I/ref=pe_71030_18959370_pe_vfe_d2   I am just curious whether the first one is 1080p ready ?    Thanks.

yes the live hub is 1080p compatible, try the official website for full specs

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

Both devices are 1080p

The only difference is the Live Hub has a 1tb hard drive built in.

Miami_Son wrote:

The only difference is the Live Hub has a 1tb hard drive built in.

That’s a gross oversimplification…

The Hub has customizable user themes.

The Hub has a completely new User Interface.

The Hub has built-in DLNA Service

The Hub has iTunes service.

and etc.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s a gross oversimplification…

The Hub has customizable user themes.

The Hub has a completely new User Interface.

The Hub has built-in DLNA Service

The Hub has iTunes service.

and etc.

Yes, it was an oversimplification, but those are usability differences. As far as function (1080P support, Netflix support, etc.) the hard drive is the main difference.

I dont like the responsive-ness of the WD TV Live Plus and the Fast REWIND is terrible.

Is the Hub any better?

WD TV Live Hub is better

Apart from the above it has HDMI 1.4 port which is useful for watching 3D content if the user has a 1.4 port at the TV end and 1.4 hdmi cable… The Live hub is simply faster than the live and live plus for sure…

On the other hand if you are not into themes and movie sheets my WD live plus is much much more stable. I can view playlists larger than 60ish items it plays all my movies without a hitch. The Hub has alot of bugs and I really hope WD starts adressing them a bit better. I got a funny feeling this hub was a bridge to the next thing in line

I depend alot on WD TV LIve Plus to play all my recordings.  Its my only primary media device, so …

1. Does it FFW and Rewind better than WD TV Live + ?

2. Does it has a faster processor on the Hub?

I wish WD would make something like the Hub but without the hard drive inside.  Sort of like something between the + and the Hub.  WD, are you listening?

The WDTV HD Gen1 uses the Sigma 8635 processor @ 300MHz.

The WDTV HD Gen2 uses the Sigma 8655 processor @ 500MHz.

The WDTV Live uses the Sigma 8655 processor @ 500MHz.

The WDTV Live Plus uses the Sigma 8654 processor @ 500MHz.

The WDTV Live Hub uses the Sigma 8654 processor @ 500MHz.

The only difference between an 8654 and an 8655 is that the 8654 is the DRM version.  That’s why NetFlix could not just be added to the WDTV Live, and WD had to build the Live Plus with the version of the chip that will play the protected streams.

So, except for the original WDTV Gen1, all this family has the same processing capability – the Hub doesn’t have a faster chip.

The local storage hard drive is pretty much needed for the added capabilities of the Live Hub… there really isn’t any “something” between the Live Plus and the Live Hub.  It either has a place to store the info it needs, or it doesn’t.

And I’m fairly sure you’re going to end up with most people saying they’d prefer WD to work on existing bugs in the Live/Live Plus/Live Hub, rather than release yet another player in the same family. :wink:

As for FF/REW, I believe the core playback code is essentially the same for all devices, so if your encodes aren’t working properly, they’re going to behave the same on the whole WDTV line.  Most people don’t have any FF/REV issues with their files, though.

Thanks RoofingGuy.

I just find it that the FF/Rewind thing on the WD is not just responsive compared to a Dish DVR receiver.

Also when I rewind, the picture would freeze, yet it still rewind.  But FFW is OK.