WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.01.17[ New ]

The last thing I want to be is an apologist for WD but lets not forget what the major issue has been for us and particularly for them. The ‘bricking’ of units during a firmware update. Lets face it before handing out updates and improvements they have to mend the route to do that. It appears that this firmware is being released to do just that. I assume they will now sit back for a while and see if everything goes well before the next update comes out. At least something is happening.

I had the latest firmware on before .17 (mine did not brick during the last update)  I could use PlayOn with Hulu and my 1tb NAS drive with movies just fine.  After this update, i couldnt get Hulu to work right, but CBS shows could play.  My network and pc may need a reboot though.   Last week, flawless watching shows from Hulu in my bedroom.  Ripped a movie to the NAS, watched that also, no issues.

I think this firmwarm is simply a prep for what is to come.   I think they need to this out there for whats to come next.  bug fixes and enhancements.  Im assuming it will be within the next 2 weeks. They dont want to wait and start to lose the base they have.

Those that have issues, I assume its network related.   My wireless is up/down with streaming media.  Sometimes if I move my box just a tad, the audio will stutter.  If I move it again… its fine.     I have not been motivated to wire it all CAT5 right now, plus… last week it was fine.   I think its all a combo of issues with Playon being flaky here and there, your windows PC being flakey, your wireless flakey.  But when everything works at once… it works great.

Get NetFlix and Playon or “Pluggins” to other stations on this box! 

I also did not have any problems with the firmware upgrade to 1.01.12.  I did however have a simple problem that it would not recognize some of my folder.jpg files even though I followed every rule I could find. 

After I did this update to 1.01.17 today, my folder.jpg issue went away.  The reason I am mentioning this is that maybe there are some fixes beyond just the “firmware upgrade” upgrade.

I eagerly await the next shoe to drop, even though, hold my breath, I am not really having any issues now.  Just some wishes for further improvements.

Problems playing mp4 video files is same with .17 update, audio sync problems.  Mp4 is the most popular container for movie files and I can’t believe this problem has not been fixed a long time ago.  This WD TV Live player is useless to me if it can not play mp4 accordingly.

The moaning here in this forum is ridiculous. Western Digital haven’t made any promises which they do not fulfill and nobody force us to use the WDTV. If you are not happy with the device, resell the WDTV and become happy with anything else (good luck for your search).

There is some space for improvement without a question, but in comparison to other devices which I have tested so far, the WDTV Live offers an excellent cost / performance ratio.

Michael

stogiebear wrote:

My HD Live works flawlessly.

Plus if you read the release notes of the new firmware upgrade you’ll see multiple enhancements and fixes listed.

Ar eyou kidding or new to the way frimware changelogs are posted, becsue there are not multiple but ONE, UNO, EIN changes and none of them are enhnacements.

computerguy wrote:

I have to admit that when I saw the firmware update this morning I was excited.  I had hoped WD resolved the network connectivity loss issues, shares showing up without registry hacks, ease of navigation, menu functionality, etc.  When I read the release notes for 1.01.17 I was stunned.  It was like getting a birthday card with no money in it; you open it slowly to make sure the check or cash does not fall out and realize there is nothing but a few sentences in it…turn it over, and back again and still nothing.  Is that it!!!  :stuck_out_tongue:

Regardless I am very happy with my WD TV Live and have authored a couple tutorials on YouTube regarding the shares and how to resolve that.  My family and I enjoy the functionality it offers now but it has a LONG way to go before it’s fully functional.

I have my 4TB media center hooked directly to the WD to resolve the network connectivity issues.  It takes about 12 minutes to send a full Blu-ray across the network but at least it does not take 13 minutes.  :wink:

/eagerly awaiting firmware update v1.2

If you look arond this is one of the smallest wd tv fourms – and everyone is flabberghasted at the “emptry card” given the number of serious problems still not adressed!

Anira wrote:

There is some space for improvement without a question, but in comparison to other devices which I have tested so far, the WDTV Live offers an excellent cost / performance ratio.

Michael

You are joking right? have you seen the popcorn?

Do not waste your time here - buy a popcorn and become happy. I’ll stick on the WDTV Live.

You have got to be kidding, yeah there are some features I would like to see added, but those are not the biggest issues, The problem is all the bugs. I really must say that no matter how inexpensive an item is I would really expect some things that should absolutely work audio sync being one of them. Would you except a brand new car if the engine kept dying, would you really care how good a price it was? Somethings are just expected.

Rand6 wrote:

Anira wrote:

Michael

You are joking right? have you seen the popcorn?

I hope you are not referring to the embarassing C200 whihc costs over £300 and which has a firmware in an even more beta state than the WD. Pound for pound the WDTV Live represents best value in its range.

bugly wrote:

You have got to be kidding, yeah there are some features I would like to see added, but those are not the biggest issues, The problem is all the bugs. I really must say that no matter how inexpensive an item is I would really expect some things that should absolutely work audio sync being one of them. Would you except a brand new car if the engine kept dying, would you really care how good a price it was? Somethings are just expected.

I fully understand your comment, but there are people on earth (like me) which do NOT have these problems. And again: do NOT waste your time here. If you are not satisfied with the performance, resell and buy an better car.

Criticism is welcome, but stop yelling like a 5 year old child.

Michael

1 Like

I found that with the new firmware 1.01.17 i can watch movies from my cd rom in the pc now with ease and i find that it searches quicker now to find my folders on the network. That’s all i have noticed so far. Seems to more stable in the network area.

palms

strange… I was on .11 and I powered the wd tv live on to find an icon telling me .17 was available (new update). After the installation finished, I couldn’t access any network drives.  For some reason, the wdtv live update overwrote all my network settings.  I had to input everything manually as auto detecting wouldn’t even work.

.17 will wipe your current network settings out!

1 word guys… Testing!  Test before you release.

is there a guide on how to save the current firmware and how you revert back to it?

I’m eagerly waiting 2.0 =)

pipi22222 wrote:

Well my wd hd live updated but i still have these probs.

1 . I cant login to my youtube account , it will reset the player.

The solution to the YouTube login issue is eslewhere on the forum.  Basically, if you had a Google Account and a seperate YouTube account prior to May '09 - you need to go to Google and synchronize those accounts and passwords. Once you do that, then the YouTube login in WDTV Live works.

so 17 just updates the loader.  how lame.  why bother with a seperate update for that; just include it in next release.  i was hoping this one would have the fix to allow setting of the network workgroup name.  annoyed.

jarrod

crobinso2006 wrote:

strange… I was on .11 and I powered the wd tv live on to find an icon telling me .17 was available (new update). After the installation finished, I couldn’t access any network drives.  For some reason, the wdtv live update overwrote all my network settings.  I had to input everything manually as auto detecting wouldn’t even work.

.17 will wipe your current network settings out!

1 word guys… Testing!  Test before you release.

• *> my upgrade from .00 (original fw) did not wipe out the network settings. i restarted the wdtv live once it had done its thing upgrading the firmware and everything was detected normally ie network shares etc.> nonetheless i have reverted to the orig fw once again since the mp4 audio sync issue persists in .17 and my media collection are mainly mp4s

Flawless upgrade for me.  Maintained all settings.  I have not noticed any improvements, however its been working great (other than some codec issues as noted by others)

dSTeVek wrote:

pipi22222 wrote:

Well my wd hd live updated but i still have these probs.

1 . I cant login to my youtube account , it will reset the player.

The solution to the YouTube login issue is eslewhere on the forum.  Basically, if you had a Google Account and a seperate YouTube account prior to May '09 - you need to go to Google and synchronize those accounts and passwords. Once you do that, then the YouTube login in WDTV Live works.

Your solution does not work. I just tried it, I sync the two accounts, but the WD continues to reboot when I log into my account.

Solutions?

Tnx