WD TV Live firmware release (version 1.01.12) - Important update

Thank you Bill_S for the information. Good to know WD is working in a solution that we can apply without returning the unit. If this is the case I can wait a bit longer.

Just received instruction from WD level 2 tech support that they are telling people to press the reset button with the unit powered on (do not hold in just press and release) then remove all cables including power and wait 10 to 15 minutes. Reconnect all cables and then press the reset button again. This is supposed to reset the unit however I am at work and don’t have a TV to try it on. Can someone have a crack at this and then post if it works or not? Fingers Crossed…

I’m trying… will post results in 15mins

1st step done with power, ethernet cable and hdmi connected pressed quickly in reset and removed all cables. waiting more 10 mins…

Didn’t work. :frowning: Do you remember any other detail? Is there any “timing” details?

No mate, thats all he said, its got me stumped, thanks for trying anyway.

Of course it doesn’t work.  That’s the same tired line that support gives everyone for every electronic device’s problems in the history of, well, forever.

WD phone support is horrible, like many other companies’ support.  It’s all outsourced anyway.

I hope they don’t start treating us like dumbs. GRRRRR! We’ve been very patient, but if they try to fool me with that [text deleted]  I’ll make sure a google will point to a lot of negative reviews about the product. Until now I don’t have any complaint about the support. they’ve been very professional.

I have received email from support asking me to create RMA case. However, I choose to wait a few days for a possible software solution. I trust WD to act responsibly. Let’s be patient and supportive. WD, please work extra hard though. 

I just received perhaps the same e-mail:

_Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. 

A small percentage of our users are experiencing a problem with WD TV Media Players when they update to the newest firmware release (version 1.01.12). 
We’re investigating the issue. Until we identify the root cause, we’ve removed update version 1.01.12.” 

If you bought the drive in the last 30 days then please approach your retailer for a replacement - this will be the quickest way for you .

Otherwise you can return the WDTV through our RMA procedure on the WD website.

Answer Title: How to request an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty
Answer Link: _
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. 

WD still insists it’s a small percentage of their customers affected! What does it mean?

• They’re considering other products as well?

• What is a small percentage? 80% (considering it could be worse)

• Are they considering all usts produced? Even the ones still in the shelfs?

WD probably insists it’s a small percentage of WDTV Live customers who are affected because only a small percentage installed the 1.01.12 update. I was lucky to have my unit off on friday and didn’t get the update, so I’m not affected.  It’s probably 100% of everyone who updated. Factory products probably don’t include this firmware version anyway (mine came with 1.01.10 and I updated to 1.01.11). I doubt this affects other products than the WDTV Live. If the firmware bricks the device I guess the only solution will be RMA.

Would it be possible that a manager provides some information as when can we expect more information or a fix. Is it better to go through RMA or wait for a fix ?

YES, WD should know that communication is the keyword.

So please give us an update ! Waiting for a fix or RMA ?

If everyone that read this post reply to request information on what is going on, maybe we will have some attention…

Any news?

Nik71 wrote:

A small percentage of our users are experiencing a problem with WD TV Media Players when they update to the newest firmware release (version 1.01.12).

We’re investigating the issue. Until we indentify the root cause, we’ve removed update version 1.01.12.

If you’ve successfully updated to version 1.01.12 there’s nothing further you need to do.

If you are experiencing any problems with your WD TV player, contact our customer service at http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

As soon as we learn more we’ll post the information here.

serg19 wrote:

Is Europe, Australia and the States considered a small percentage???

What next ???

Don’t be silly, they are talking about people. If its 1000 people out of a million, then its a very small percentage who were unlucky enough to run into this

neutro wrote:

It’s probably 100% of everyone who updated. Factory products probably don’t include this firmware version anyway (mine came with 1.01.10 and I updated to 1.01.11). I doubt this affects other products than the WDTV Live. If the firmware bricks the device I guess the only solution will be RMA.

Nope, I updated without any problems.

And it might have affected the original WDTV as well since they updated firmware for both at the same time, but they pulled that one again. And since people would have to notice the update on the site (as opposed to being prompted by the device) it may that no WDTV owners had the problem.

Will WD please tell us(with bricked units) to RMA our units or to wait for Fix. Need to know fast. Waiting to return unit to seller. 

jtn360 - I personally wouldn’t wait if I were you. Just go and get an exchange before you run out of time and options. Looking at how slow things are so far, I think a fix will take some time. In fact there is no clear answer from moderators/managers on this forum about a proper date or time the fix will be available. If the shop is not too far away and you are within the 30 day return/exchange policy limit, then just go and get a new one.

Just spoke to level 2 WD support again, there will be no fix, they are still advising everyone to RMA or return to retailer for replacement. This unit cannot and will not be repaired and there will be no fix posted. I will be advance RMAing my unit today as I will not send them my dodgy one until I get a new one.