WD TV Live Exceeds Expectation

mike27oct wrote:

You sound like the kind of guy who, if you don’t know about the free program called inSSIDer, you would want to.  It shows you all the wireless signals around you and their signal strength, etc…  It helped me set up my new hot-shot dual-band ASUS router, and fine tune the antenna directions.  InSSIDer also helped me select the best channels for the router to broadcast on for both bands – and they were not the default ones.

Looks like an interesting piece of software, except it is Windows only.  It is easy with Linux to scan wifi and get a list of all access point signal strengths, channels, and so forth.  The wifi router also allows you to look at the signal strengths and transmission rates of the various clients.  We have been using directional antennas for years to reach far corners of the house.

Our problem with “n” had nothing to do with signal strength or interference.  We could be transmitting data at a high rate and just suddenly have the client report the network connection had gone down.  It was clearly due to incompatibilities between the n-mode of the older router and the 802.11n implementations in various OS’s.  Simply getting a newer version of the same wifi router (and updating wife’s ancient Linux distro)  fixed all the problems.  This is why I would suggest that anyone having wifi issues with the SMP should consider that it might be their “n” wifi router if that router is more than a couple of years old.

ncarver wrote:> Looks like an interesting piece of software, except it is Windows only. 

Not so – it is also for Mac and Android.  You must have googled for inSSIDer and ended up at only the Windows page, so go to the main site at:   http://www.metageek.net/  and look under Products tab.

Wow good reviews.

I just received mine.

Anyone know how can I setup in 3 different rooms to watch the same movie at one time?

What hardware I need, if I only have wireless connections