WD TV Live - Component doesn't work properly at all. Any fix yet?

Hi there- I’ve been trawling the net looking for a solution to this, and despite being widely reported and well documented, it seems there isn’t a proper solution yet to the scrambled image/split screen issues when running this unit in Component Mode on a CRT. My Nintendo Wii and DVD work just fine in component mode on 2 TV’s I have for testing- yet the WD Live (as much as I love it) isn’t working properly here, no matter what settings I try. The best image I can manage is a split screen at standard PAL settings.

Suggestions have been made elsewhere that the lack of interlace support at lower resolutions may be to blame? Either way, it’s unacceptable that this device won’t work on normal televisions with component (a standard that has been around for a VERY long time.)

Will a firmware fix do the trick? Or do I need to get a refund on this device and try something else?

Any input much appreciated. I tried to reply to an existing thread, but the forum wouldn’t let me (quite an old thread anyway) http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-Live-Component-Video-Problem/m-p/1321/highlight/true#M681

Please help!!

Cheers.

1 Like

Get a refund.

The Live only supports component 480p and higher.   480i isn’t supported.   The Live was designed for HD TVs, after all… :wink:

I guess I’m hijacking and should start a new thread, but since this one is so close, perhaps you’ll forgive and give me some help as well. 

I don’t get any component whatsoever.  I’ve tried several tv’s with their known formats/interface being shown on the unit’s audio/video selection.  But I get nothing; no split screen, no green, no messed up image, no snow.  Zip.

I’m using the original jack that came with the unit from the factory.

Thank you in advance for your response.

One solution is to purchase the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+.  It does output 480i or 576i via component. The only problem is that this player implements W ide S creen S ignalling.

If your widescreen CRT TV does not support WSS as mine doesn’t, 4:3 videos may display with incorrect aspect ratio.

I am currently trying to get Seagate to disable WSS.

mdntdncr wrote:

I guess I’m hijacking and should start a new thread, but since this one is so close, perhaps you’ll forgive and give me some help as well. 

I don’t get any component whatsoever.  I’ve tried several tv’s with their known formats/interface being shown on the unit’s audio/video selection.  But I get nothing; no split screen, no green, no messed up image, no snow.  Zip.

I’m using the original jack that came with the unit from the factory.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Maybe if the player is set to HDMI, component will be disabled. I cant test this here, so Im not certain if this can be the problem.

For testing purposes,  composite video can be input into the TV’s component (green) input , a picture should be displayed with no colour.

PleaseFixIt wrote:

Hi there- I’ve been trawling the net looking for a solution to this, and despite being widely reported and well documented, it seems there isn’t a proper solution yet to the scrambled image/split screen issues when running this unit in Component Mode on a CRT. My Nintendo Wii and DVD work just fine in component mode on 2 TV’s I have for testing- yet the WD Live (as much as I love it) isn’t working properly here, no matter what settings I try. The best image I can manage is a split screen at standard PAL settings.

Suggestions have been made elsewhere that the lack of interlace support at lower resolutions may be to blame? Either way, it’s unacceptable that this device won’t work on normal televisions with component (a standard that has been around for a VERY long time.)

Will a firmware fix do the trick? Or do I need to get a refund on this device and try something else?

Any input much appreciated. I tried to reply to an existing thread, but the forum wouldn’t let me (quite an old thread anyway) http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-Live-Component-Video-Problem/m-p/1321/highlight/true#M681

Please help!!

Cheers.

Have you tried pestering WD Support as I and others have done much of?:smiley:

“Have you tried pestering WD Support as I and others have done much of?:smiley:” You mean this isn’t it? Where should I be directing my enquiry? Cheers =)

PleaseFixIt wrote:
“Have you tried pestering WD Support as I and others have done much of?:smiley:” You mean this isn’t it? Where should I be directing my enquiry? Cheers =)

With more customers bringing this issue to WD’s attention, the more likely it will be fixed in the next model, hopefully.

Okay,  color me slightly confused. 

I’m not using any HDMI at all here, so I’m not certain how turning it on will impact the fact that I can’t get component.

As for plugging the composite into the green component, won’t that simply text the TV’s imput jack?

It’s determing if there is signal coming from the device’s component jack that I’m trying to discern.

ie.  Is the device faulty in a piece of the hardware?  or is the component jack faulty? 

or is the user faulty?(highest probability, but have yet to prove)

thank you for responding, by the way.  I’m grateful someone is listening and trying to help

mdntdncr wrote:

Okay,  color me slightly confused. 

I’m not using any HDMI at all here, so I’m not certain how turning it on will impact the fact that I can’t get component.

As for plugging the composite into the green component, won’t that simply text the TV’s imput jack?

It’s determing if there is signal coming from the device’s component jack that I’m trying to discern.

ie.  Is the device faulty in a piece of the hardware?  or is the component jack faulty? 

or is the user faulty?(highest probability, but have yet to prove)

thank you for responding, by the way.  I’m grateful someone is listening and trying to help

OK. First are you plugging the supplied lead into the correct jack on the back of the WDTV and is it pushed all the way in… You could also try the composite output to see if you get any picture - ensure you plug into the correct output jack on the WDTV. You must use the leads supplied by WD.

yes,  I confirmed that they were the correct leads/output and that it was firmly pushed in.

How do I ‘try the composite output to see if [I]get any picture’?

The unit works fine on a composite out to composite in on a television.

I’ve used that and plugged it into the correct terminals, etc.

It is the component out (from WD) to component in (multiple televisions) that is not working.

I have _not_ tried the HDMI.

–md

SOME people with TVs that only support 480i on component will see a picture that’s simply scrambled.

SOME people with TV’s that ony support 480i will see nothing, because the TV will reject the 480p signal.

It sounds to me like your TV doesn’t support 480p+.

Okay,  

so I took the yellow composite out (while still plugged into the composite port) and plugged it into the

green component in on the television and got a B&W picture of the WD screen.  So the TV is accepting

a signal in.

Again, though . .  . when I plug the green component plug (while plugged into the component out port on WD)

into that same green component in on the tv, I get nothing but a blank screen.

I’ve reset the video settings to every single one as an experiment, not just the ones that the television

supports.

What diagnostic do I try next?

"SOME people with TVs that only support 480i on component will see a picture that’s simply scrambled.

SOME people with TV’s that ony support 480i will see nothing, because the TV will reject the 480p signal.

It sounds to me like your TV doesn’t support 480p+."

The television supports 720p, 720i, 1080p, & 1080i

I also called the factory to comfirm.

Composite output is 480i, by the way, on NTSC devices.

If you haven’t tried it yet, try changing the VIDEO MODE on the WDTV by pressing the RESET button for MORE than 10 seconds.   That toggles between PAL and NTSC modes.

If that still doesn’t do anything, then either your WD’s component port is dead, or the cable is bad.

To test the cable, plug the COMPOSITE cable into the COMPONENT output of the WD, then:

• YELLOW is the same as GREEN
  • WHITE is the same as BLUE
  • RED is the same as RED

Try that.

If still no picture, either your TV does NOT support the component output, or the 3.5mm jack on the WDTV is bad.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH . . . . YOU ROCK!!

That’s the most concise accurate set of directions I’ve received!!! thank you.

Okay . . . as to the first, I’ve not idea why to toggle, so I didn’t do it  as I know what the TV’s are.

However,  the second set was exactly what I needed to know.  I didn’t know that the composite minijack would even work in the component port.  ( I don’t think WD wants you to know that either)

So the result gives me a picture of the WD menu.  So now we know that both composite and component out work,

and that my component in on the television works and is supported by  _at least_ 480p and 1080i.

So that only leaves the option (it seems to me) that the ‘official component minijack’ supplied by WD is faulty.

I guess they sent me a cheap one, eh?

So where do I find one that’s compatible?  I’ve read that many you can buy at retail stores don’t work.

But I’d rather just go buy one than go through the hassle of  getting WD to replace it.

Would you happen to know?

and again, Thank you very very much.  More than the rest, I needed to know if the unit was faulty, or if it was the minijack. (I’d ruled out pilot error by this point :P)

Since your cable is faulty, call WD.   They’ll replace it as long as it’s still under warranty…

I have no idea where you’d find compatible cables in stores.

thank you again!!!

I contacted WD, but I doubt the warranty goes to cables beyond the first 30 days.  They can say I

used it and abused it even though it wasn’t opened until yesterday (I’ve been using composite until now)

According to their website, you cannot buy the cable in retail outlets; only from them.

but at least I know the unit itself is not faulty and most importantly, I know what the problem itself is.

That in itself was the most frustrating.

mdntdncr, contact WD [deleted by Bill_S].

Thank you very much.

I contacted [deleted] in Customer Service.  I’m waiting hear back.