Wd TV live box changes the order of my files

(from the order i have set them up on my computer to alpathetical)

for example i have a folder with all the james bond films and on the computer i changed  them in the order they were released. but when i plug my HD in to my wd live box it changes the order in to alpathetical order.

is there any way to can change (stop) this ??

Thanks alot :slight_smile:

More in info needed like how did you change them on the computer? and how are they named?

1 Like

well i changed them on my computer manually, i just dragged them in the order i wanted.

they are named buy the name of the film. Dr No and Goldeneye ect…  so on my computer they are in the order i want them then as soon as i plug my hd in to the live box it chages order so it comes up alpatheticaly.

(if you need any more info please say :))

and thanks

The WDTV isn’t going to know (or care) what sort order the folder has under Windoze.  Even most media player software will ignore the folder order and go alphabetical.

As you’ve noticed, the WDTVs only do an alphabetical sort.

I’ve never had a problem, tho, because when I rip my discs, I’ve always started the filename with the year.  So I have:

1962 - Dr. No.mkv

1963 - From Russia With Love.mkv

1964 - Goldfinger.mkv

1965 - Thunderball.mkv

2008 - Quantum of Solace.mkv

They show up in the “right” order for me in both Windoze and on the WDTV without me having to do anything to them. :wink:

If you don’t want to rename everything, you could create playlists to get the order you want.

1 Like

robtobe wrote:

well i changed them on my computer manually, i just dragged them in the order i wanted.

they are named buy the name of the film. Dr No and Goldeneye ect…  so on my computer they are in the order i want them then as soon as i plug my hd in to the live box it chages order so it comes up alpatheticaly.

(if you need any more info please say :))

and thanks

Well that particular order is only known locally by your computer. It is just a chosen display sequence on your computer. The WDTV does not know anything about it as file sharing or media sharing does not send this information to the WDTV. All it knows is the file/media names and logically sorts in alpha-numeric sequence.

If you want to get them in a chronological sequence then rename them something like-

01-XXXXXXX

02-YYYYYYY

03-ZZZZZZZ

Or as RoofingGuy just beet me use the year as a prefix.

This is just a limitation of the technology not a problem with the WDTV.

Thanks for the hlep every one, i wasnt complaing about the system as such i was just wondering if there was a little thing i had to chage for it not to change it.

putting the date at the start isnt a problem ill just have to get on with it. 

only had the box for a day and love it so far !. just gotta put all my moives on to it now :smiley:

robtobe wrote:

Thanks for the hlep every one, i wasnt complaing about the system as such i was just wondering if there was a little thing i had to chage for it not to change it.

putting the date at the start isnt a problem ill just have to get on with it. 

only had the box for a day and love it so far !. just gotta put all my moives on to it now :smiley:

Glad we could help.

read some of the post’s here not all of them and I am having the opposite problem. I have my files arranged in alphabetical order on my external hard drive, but when i plug it into my wd media player it mixes the files up randomly. its really annoying. any way to fix this?

Uhm, you can’t “Order” your files on a hard drive.  :)

It’s up to the computer (or in this case, the WDTV) to decide how to sort them.   That being said, the WD *DOES* sort in different ways depending on how you choose to view them… 

“Order” thought it meant “arrangement of successive things”…  what are you on about? haha

anyways, I arranged the files on the external hard drive using my computer… but it seems to be listed randomly when I plug it into the WD.

I tried sorting it on the WD, but I couldn’t get it into alphabetical order.   it not a big deal, would just be nice to get it into alphabetical “order”

Nah, that’s exactly what I mean.

When you change the “Sort Order” on your computer, you’re not actually doing ANYTHING on the drive itself.

Files are arranged on a drive in an n-Tree, with no inherent order.

Now, I can’t speak to Non-“English” alpha systems, but at least in English, the Live will sort in alphabetical order…  I’ve never seen it do it in any other way.  

Just out of curiosity, might you be able to take a pic of the screen showing this unusual ordering you’re talking about and paste it to something like imageshack so we can take a look?

well its somewhat in alphabetical order. I have about 10 titles that start with the letter “A” but it will only have 3 of the titles at the top before going over to “B” and the rest will be somewhere else in the list… if that makes any sense. dont feel like going through the hassle and taking pictures and uploading them. sorry