WD TV Live- - blinks and flashes - 3 TB HDD- HDD also used as time machine back up

Recently purchased a WD TV LIVE streaming player - firmware - 1.14.09

connecting my 3 TB seagate HDD it takes time to read and does nothing other than the light flashing and blinking.

i use the HDD also as a back up for time machine for my mac…will this affect???

have shared files from my mac and WD TV box works ok with linux share for the same.

i have 2 TB data of 3 TB and even running it overnight it doesn’t index or does anything - it just freezes and fails. for once time when i opened the box - it did what it shoud and was testing a video file and it worked ok- so am thinking it could be  firmware ugrade which screwed??

-will 3 TB work with WD tv Live streaming??

-as HDD is also used as a time machine - is it why it is not working?

-can firmware roll back is possible?

can someone suggest best possible to way to work this out please.

My set up requirement - i have 3 TB HDD and have movies in it - mostly .mkv - need to play movies from HDD via WD TV live to TV without using my mac.

I have a 3tb Seagate HD on mine and it is fine, so it must be something else.

I have exactly the same problem with my 3Tb Seagate Barracuda.

I use it in “ICY BOX IB-372StU3-B”.

So I think the problem is the box.

What type of box are you using with your 3tb HDD?

And you, Big_Shoes ?

mskajji wrote:

-as HDD is also used as a time machine - is it why it is not working?

can someone suggest best possible to way to work this out please.

Apple requires that drives used with Time Machine be formatted with HFS+ and have journaling enabled.  While Linux systems (such as the WD TV units) can access HFS+ filesystems, they continue to lack support for HFS+ with journaling enabled (as far as I can tell).  So it is likely that this is the source of your problems.

Way out?  Buy a second drive.  Use one drive (formatted with NTFS) for the WD TV unit, and the second drive (formatted with HFS+) for Time Machine.  Another way out?  Quit using Time Machine, since it is incredibly inflexible about drives.

EDIT:  I see the SMP manual claims support for HFS+ on external drives, but unless they have paid money to license a supposed proprietary filesystem driver Wikipedia mentions, I am skeptical the SMP supports HFS+ with journaling.

From the manual:

Make sure that:
• the USB device is not using the HFS+ file system with Journaling enabled.

Ah, rather a fail on the manual!

On pg. 7 it says:  USB Storage File System Support: NTFS, FAT/FAT32, HFS+

Only on pg. 203, under Troubleshooting, does the the fact that HFS+ with journaling enabled doesn’t work get noted.

(And of course no mention of the Linux ext filesystems, even though some of them are supported.)

Since general use of a filesystem with its journaling _dis_abled is not advisable (and is not allowed by software such as Time Machine, which is exactly what people with HFS+ drives are going to be using), what pg. 203 really tells us is that pg. 7 is wrong:  HFS+ is not a supported filesystem type for most Mac users!  :wink:

So what to do, again:

Use two separate drives for your Time Machine backups and for your video files.  But which filesystem for the videos drive, that will allow full access by both the WD TV unit and a Mac?  NTFS seems to be your best bet, though it appears that recent OS X versions still have only read support natively for NTFS.  However, there are a number of options to add write support.  See the Wiki page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Mac_OS_X .  Also Google “mac ntfs driver” (don’t include the quotes in your search).  Hint: one of the major harddrive manufacturers appears to be offering a Mac NTFS driver.

Note:  do not even consider using FAT32 or exFAT.

ncarver wrote:

Hint: one of the major harddrive manufacturers appears to be offering a Mac NTFS driver.

Note:  do not even consider using FAT32 or exFAT.

I believe this is what you are referring to:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/backup-plus/

I have a couple of these drives – and earlier versions, too (although I do not use a Mac) .  The drive is NTFS, but has a driver for install on the Mac so it can read/use NTFS format.

I recently got my daughter one to plug into her new Pogoplug, (that is to be plugged into the router, not the Mac) and she can also plug it into her Macs.  Haven’t set it up yet.  She also has separate drives for her Time Machine backups that are HFS+ formatted.

I have no idea if WD has the same kind of thing.