WD TV Live + Asus RT-AC66U

Hello

I am having problems setting up the network share between my AC66U and WD TV Live.

I have connected my USB HDD to the AC66U. I am able to connect WDTV to the HDD if I set up the AC66U as a media server, but then I have the problem with no subtitles.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Hi DarkKnight123,

Acting as media server, only subtitle inside the container will work (assuming you use MKV as example). If your subtitles are outside they can’t be readed, only the media (video) file was used for the media server. You can use the network shares for use the subs. Please let me know what problem you have so maybe can help you…

CU.

Rod.

Thanks for the input. I understand that if I use MKVMerge I can merke srt file and mkv file to make subtitle work through media share. How ever this creates unwanted extra work…

The problem is that I cannot seem to make WDTV connect to the Asus router through network share. I have created an account called WDTVLIVE and enabled sharing with account. I have also enabled R&W permissions to the desired folders on the USB HDD.

I am probably missing some setting I assume, but I cannot find out what.

Thanks again =)

DarkKnight123 wrote:> The problem is that I cannot seem to make WDTV connect to the Asus router through network share. I have created an account called WDTVLIVE and enabled sharing with account. I have also enabled R&W permissions to the desired folders on the USB HDD.

Thanks again =)

I have an ASUS RT_N66U; basically the same router as you have.  I have a WD Live Plus.  After I replaced the old Linksys router with the ASUS, all network devices, including the Live Plus, didn’t even flinch when they were all turned back on. – it all worked as before – just faster and better.  If I had this happen, you can, too.

First of all, I’d like to know if the router is your new unit, and/or is the WD player?  Or both; neither? 

Before installing the new router, I turned off every device connected to the network.  After the router was connected and on, I turned on the PC to set it up.  Once that was done, I turned on each network device one at a time.  Everything that was connected before connected again, correctly; including the Live Plus, and its network shares were all as before.  Nothing had changed – other than the router.

You also mentioned having issues with the WD network shares and passwords.  I replied to someone else recently with this issue, and this is what I told him:

Re: No password or PC how do I set up?

I have gotten the same responses from the WDTV, even though my shares are set up for Everyone.  No matter, there is a way to completely bypass this stuff.

1. in the WDTV settings, select auto logon

2. in the Windows Advanced sharing, select it to not require password protected sharing.

End of problem.

The person wrote back that he was now all setup by using this info.

See if it works for you.

mike27oct wrote:

DarkKnight123 wrote:> The problem is that I cannot seem to make WDTV connect to the Asus router through network share. I have created an account called WDTVLIVE and enabled sharing with account. I have also enabled R&W permissions to the desired folders on the USB HDD.

Thanks again =)

I have an ASUS RT_N66U; basically the same router as you have.  I have a WD Live Plus.  After I replaced the old Linksys router with the ASUS, all network devices, including the Live Plus, didn’t even flinch when they were all turned back on. – it all worked as before – just faster and better.  If I had this happen, you can, too.

First of all, I’d like to know if the router is your new unit, and/or is the WD player?  Or both; neither? 

Before installing the new router, I turned off every device connected to the network.  After the router was connected and on, I turned on the PC to set it up.  Once that was done, I turned on each network device one at a time.  Everything that was connected before connected again, correctly; including the Live Plus, and its network shares were all as before.  Nothing had changed – other than the router.

You also mentioned having issues with the WD network shares and passwords.  I replied to someone else recently with this issue, and this is what I told him:

Re: No password or PC how do I set up?

I have gotten the same responses from the WDTV, even though my shares are set up for Everyone.  No matter, there is a way to completely bypass this stuff.

1. in the WDTV settings, select auto logon
  1. in the Windows Advanced sharing, select it to not require password protected sharing.

End of problem.

The person wrote back that he was now all setup by using this info.

See if it works for you.

Hi

I feel really stupid now. I had completely missed that my subnet mask was wrong (missed on 255 group). This was the reason network share did not work.

I assume that media share uses some kind of communication not dependent on subnet mask since this was working.

I am quite happy now and everything works smoothly. No more need for sharing stuff through my laptop as everything is now stored directly on the HDD connected to ASUS.

Thanks for all inputs and sorry for my user error. I guess this qualifies for PICNIC =)

I’m out