WD TV Live as DLNA DMR

Well, quite interesting the bugs that seem to pop up when playing around with this feature, and many factors seem to be involved. I would love to explore with a debugger on the WD Live ;-).

There seems to be little rhyme or reason, but anecdotally the older the Codec and container mix, the better chance you have on getting it to play. Originally, I thought it could also be something on the network server, not just the WD Live, but since XBMC seems to work like a banshee with the same server, content, latency, and files, so now I think different. Whatever it is, it appears to occur under similar situations on other embedded chipset devices I have been working on Play-to with, to include Samsung DLNA TV sets and Thompson STB devices. I am guessing embedded devices are skimping a bit close to the edge on memory and cpu to support the heavy resources required for MPEG4 processing.

FWIW, newer DivX containers with MPEG-4 DivX 5 BVOP encoded by the DivX pro package appear to play fine from a LAN share, but choke when playing across WAN segments.The same connection however seems to be ok with WMV containers with VC!/WMA, and Old AVI containers are almost always flawless too.  Since it chokes mainly when MPEG codecs are invoked, this seems to point to some kind of buffer or cpu shortage when doing MPEG decoding from the network. 

Perhaps it is gravity waves too, I don’t know. I’ll wrap the device in foil tonight just in case :wink:

Love to hear some input from a WD engineer on this.

DLNA.ORG states the WDTV Live Plus was certified as a DMR on 5/27/2010.  It doesn;t work as a DMR with any of the DMCs I have tested.

I would presume that the DMCs you’re trying have also been certified?

I brought up the DLNA certification of the WDTV Live Plus because there seemed to be a question of whether or not it was even supposed to be a DMR.

I don’t think any of the DMCs I have tried have been certified. As far as I can tell, either they don’t certify software solutions or no one has tried to certify software. I have tried all of these DMCs with other DMRs with great success. The DMCs can even control the DMRs volume output. When I pair these DMCs with the WDTVL+ here is what I have found so far:

They all  find the WDTVL+ on the network just fine.

When I try to play a list of MP3s here is what happens:

Windows 7 Media Player using “Play to” - tested this morning - works fine.

Foo_Upnp - usually cuts out after a few seconds but may make it through a couple of songs before dying.

Kinsky Desktop - plays 1 song and then stops.

Cidero Media Controller - nothing plays.

Asset Control - nothing plays.

eezupnp - nothing plays.

(volume control didn’t work with any of the DMCs)

So, when I saw the post “Developer report of bugs in WD TV Live Plus DMR” it just rang true. The WDTVL+ is a good DMP. The WDTVL+ is not ready for prime time as a DMR.

What I don’t understand is that the Live is classified as a DMP and so is the Live Hub. However the Live Plus is classified as a DMR. What makes the LIve Plus different?

Not a darn thing.   They just sought and received a different certification…

WD TV Live, Plus and Hub all are DLNA DMR’s.

Although the standards were implemented kind of loosely, we managed to build a nice iPhone app.

ZappoTV.

It is free and available in the app store now. http://bit.ly/ieukUu

Great news!

Volume control issue apparently resolved in firmware update 1.04.17_B.

It is now possible to change the volume via Windows7 Windows Media Player when using “Play To” - WDTVLIVE.

Volume is also controllable via Foobar2000 UPnP Controller. Haven’t tested any other DMCs.

Looks like volume adjust is also working with EyeCon, the media-management app. It’s about time! I highly recommend using EyeCon especially now that WD have resolved volume issues. www.eyecontec.com

While the recent fix for volume control indicates that WD is working on the DMR functionality, it appears that WD still has some work to do. The WDTVL+ still does not work consistently as a DMR with the following Windows based DMCs:

Kinksy Desktop
Foobar UPnP

dbPoweramp/Asset Control

The Foobar2000 component “foo_upnp” was just updated to include a fix for WDTV Live. It now works great as a UPnP Controller with the WDTV Live Plus. So now you can either:

a. Use the WDTV Live Plus to “pull” songs from a FB2K server, or

b. Use the FB2K (with foo_upnp) UPnP Controller  to “push” songs to the WDTV Live Plus.

The new version of foo_upnp is 0.99.32 (beta).

1.04.22_B firmware release contains some UPnP improvements.

Prior to this new release there were some peculiarities with respect to the volume control:

1. although the volume setting could range from 1 (quiet) to 100 (loud), setting “1” was still reasonably loud.

2. setting the volume to “0” was equal to the volume setting of 50 (or so).

Now, 0 is mute and 1-100 allows a complete volume range (from whisper quiet to loud).

WDTVL+ Still doesn’t work with Asset Control (might play a song for a few seconds) or Kinsky Desktop (forever subscribing).

Not sure why these UPnP fixes are not listed in the release notes…