Wd Tv Live + 6Tb External Hard Drive?

Hello all,

Last year I advised that my WD My Book 4TB works with password encryption turned on fine with my WD TV Live SMP (Gen 3). I filled my 4TB up and so I came looking to see if the 6TB was compatible and came across this thread. Seems you wanted someone to take the plunge and let ya’ll know if it works, so I took the plunge (Fantastic consumer laws in Australia means if it didn’t work I can take it back to shop for full refund).

Anywho, IT WORKED! I have a WD My Book 6TB with a password set for the encryption and it works just dandy with my WD TV Live SMP (Gen 3) using the last version firmware 2.1.xx whatever it is because we all know 2.2.32 is broken. I also have network share set and over my home network I see the full 6TB as a share, and I share it across my network to my second WD TV Live SMP in my bedroom just fine.

There is one little quirk to note, and I think it is to do with having the password set, to get the WD unit to recognize the drive I have to turn the WD on FIRST then connect the USB for it to prompt me for the password, unlock and mount the drive. I only ever need to do this however for the first plug-in, one the drive is plugged in and unlocked it remains mounted and I only need to do that unplug, turn on and replug in if there is a power failure to either the USB or the WD drive and therefore I need to reenter the password (Protecting my content as it should).

So long story short YES IT WORKS and if at first it doesn’t detect the drive, keep the WD unit on, unplug the HDD USB cord and replug it in and it will see it.

Took the plunge for yas :slight_smile: