WD TV Live 2 (new release Oct 2011)

Rachael wrote:

dvdtekno 4 hours ago

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_wd_tv_live_review

(…) Inside the WD TV Live is a Sigma Designs SMP8670AD-CBE3 processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory from four Nanya NT5TU128M8GE-AC chips spread around the motherboard. This compares with 256MB found on the previous WD TV Live Hub, as well as a slightly older processor. (…)

Forgive my ignorance - I just switched from a Seagate player - but does the WD TV Live have the same innards as the WD TV Live Hub?

They are likely really similar. It has built-in wireless, and more ram from what i’ve read in reviews… but no hard drive.

Thanks.

Hmm. The new player has a Sigma SMP8670AD-CBE3 processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory. The Hub has 256MB and a slightly older processor (Sigma SMP8654AD-CBE3) according to StorageReview.com.

So the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player improves on the Hub. If the WD TV Live has the same controller and memory as the Hub, I think I’ll buy the awkwardly named new unit. More juice might be helpful. I never could get the Live to play remuxes smoothly. 

Rachael wrote:

Thanks.

Hmm. The new player has a Sigma SMP8670AD-CBE3 processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory. The Hub has 256MB and a slightly older processor (Sigma SMP8654AD-CBE3) according to StorageReview.com.

So the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player improves on the Hub. If the WD TV Live has the same controller and memory as the Hub, I think I’ll buy the awkwardly named new unit. More juice might be helpful. I never could get the Live to play remuxes smoothly. 

I’ve been told the Streaming media player has the same remote as the hub (the big one - thankfully). I’ll be picking one up on Saturday (tommorow) so i’ll let you know for sure if someone doesn’t beat me to it before then.

Thanks very much, Ardvark.

I can confirm it has the big remote :slight_smile: - Now I have 2 of them so I don’t have to keep dragging it around the house…

Right, it’s sorted. The technival specs on WD players up to the Hub are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV#WD_TV_Live. And the Storage Review article covers the hardware of the new unit.

Bottom line is that the Hub was more powerful than the Live and the new player improves on the Hub.

DTSHD Master Audio is already working in firmware v. 1.03.10 with some bluray ISOs. I was surprised when my denon AVR-1911 detected DTSHD-MA for the first time with a WDTV :smiley:

I hope the capability of passing-through DTSHD-MA was not activated by accident :wink:

Note: single M2TS (DTSHD-MA) files still revert do DTS only.

The ISOs I’ve used are BDA (bluray disc audio). Just google for “bda dts ma”.

Excellent news - keep us posted.

The important thing is that we now know that the hardware can definitely handle it.

Steve W

With this ISO’s (BDA - bluray disc audio), DTSHD-MA passes-through to the receiver:

carly simon BDA
deadwing BDA
gaucho BDA
insurgentes BDA
knopfler sailing BDA
shangrila BDA
lightbuld BDA
NY Harvest BDA
steely BDA
reveal BDA

I detected a pattern, DTSHD-MA only works with ISO’s that have bluray menu (all the other ISO’s I have without bluray menu, do not work).

I have 2 movies (blu-ray rips) with .ts / .m2ts extensions. Both are approx 22gb in size and have DTS MA audio tracks. On my WD TV Live Plus and a new Yamaha AV Receiver, I only get the DTS core audio. I wonder whether this new player would pass the DTS MA track.

Can anyone that has already purchased this guy answer this random question. I need a media player for a temporary art installation. I have to loop one video file over and over for weeks on a 4:3 ratio DVI 17" monitor. I was thinking of using this if those specs can be met. Any thoughts?

Yes. Create a folder with just the file you need and start playing it. Then press the option button on the remote and select “play mode”. Press enter twice to activate this mode. You will see a blue swirl / arrow logo appear to the right of the time bar along the bottom of the screen verifying you’re in this mode. This one video will play over and over until you stop it. Note: This is with my WD TV LIVE PLUS model, not the new LIVE model in this thread.

Yeah I’ve hear the other units do, just looking for something rock solid on this one though. I received an email from “support” today that said it “may” loop a video. Not he most concrete statement “it may” or may not I guess! :neutral_face:

Anyone know if the WDTV Live 2 supports WMA Pro, or at least downconverts it to stereo like the b-rad FW did on the original WDTV Live? I’ve got a bunch of older movies in WMV/WMA Pro format; was looking to pick one of these up for the bedroom TV (no surround, just the built-in TV speakers).

Thanks!