WD TV Live 2 (new release Oct 2011)

markinuk wrote:

Have a look at the manual for it

There’s nothing in the manual about blu ray, 3D, or IP control.

Anyone else?

Just got a plus less than a week ago. Would you return it, use it for a spare or wait and see how this one turns out. So far it is has been working great for me…but from the comments wonder if it will still be supported. thanks.

Oh and my primary interest in the newer model is the gig port. I have a 3t WD usb 3.0 drive for media AND for backup of my WD 2T mybook live. From my computer it backs up fast, but it quite slower if the drive is connnected to the Plus. I am lazy and would prefer to leave the 3t on the Plus rather than swap them back and forth. The computer currently has only  100mbs but does have usb 3.0.  Wondering if this giga port onthe new model  would improve the speed closer to what the computer gets or is this strickly a usb 2 vs 3 situation? It doesn’t have to be the same, just don’t want it to take a month to back up the mybooklive (which backup appears to just copy files as they are, no compression).

Thanks again…

I would return it, if you can because, it is bound to be better and it is the same price.  I have had the WD plus since december and I love it but with the release of this model the udates are probably not going to be coming much longer. There are some problems that I need to know they addressed before I spend the money to upgrade though.

1.  When playing my playlists from youtube I would like it to automatically play the next file instead of just stoping.

2.  I would like support for Surround Flac and AAC especially AAC because it is being used heavily lately.

3.  Improved subtitle support which is a problem with the plus.  It has trouble with alot of Vob subs.

If I had one wish it would be an Internet Browser that supports Flash.  I just dont understand why one of these boxes has’nt come with that yet.  I am thinking about getting a netbook just for that one thing as a low powered alternative to turning on my power draining desktop.

You may want to try the following routers or something similar it has 2 USB 3 ports.  I am planing to get it as soon as I raise some cash.  Tend to have to unplug my HDD from my computer and plug it to the WD live and vice versa so this is the solution I ran across.

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-wndr3800-n600-wireless/4505-3319_7-34467812.html?tag=mncol;lst;2

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-wndr4500-n900-wireless/4505-3319_7-35017823.html?tag=contentBody;similarProds

Product Review

I saw that review also unfortunatly it doesnt go into better detail about the supported codecs.  I would really like to know if it supports 10bit encodes and surround AAC and Flac.

robneal81 wrote:

markinuk wrote:

Have a look at the manual for it

There’s nothing in the manual about blu ray, 3D, or IP control.

Anyone else?

top of page 205, lists BD iso info

markinuk wrote:

top of page 205, lists BD iso info

You’re right, I apologize.  I searched for “blu”, not “BD”.  

That being said, it doesn’t mention menu’s, or 3D at all, just that it supports .iso’s.  

Maybe I can buy one and try it out.  I can’t seem to find it on the Best Buy website though.  Can someone post a link?  If not, I’ll try to find it locally.

It does not support 3D BD’s or BD menus.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

It does not support 3D BD’s or BD menus.

Thank you very much for responding.  Have you tried personally, or are you getting your info from a spec?

I’ve tried it.

How was it as far as boot-up time, still slow or faster? Any bugs in the menu/option settings?

Have you tried AAC or Flac surround sound on it?

80sGuy wrote:

How was it as far as boot-up time, still slow or faster? Any bugs in the menu/option settings?

Faster than the Live / Live+, about the same as the Hub, since they both have “standby” mode instead of fully shutting down.

No, I don’t have any FLAC or AAC surround material…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/wdtvlive/post-type/message

Lots of ideas changed status to ‘new’, including support for more than 2 drives.  It doesn’t say specifically that a hub is supported, but I’m hoping that’s what is implied.

No, NEW just means it’s recently posted.  

I don’t know why the status is changing to NEW on OLD posts…

:angry:  Yeah, just realized that after I read a few more…

rats.

In the manual it lists under the supported formats (for the BD image/iso section at least):

TrueHD and DTSHD

I wonder what that means? i.e. can it bitstream DTS-HD 7.1 audio? Hopefully somebody can try this out!

Thanks

ottawaguy wrote:

In the manual it lists under the supported formats (for the BD image/iso section at least):

TrueHD and DTSHD

I wonder what that means? i.e. can it bitstream DTS-HD 7.1 audio? Hopefully somebody can try this out!

Thanks

I dunno.   I’ve never seen anything authored with DTS-HD 7.1, only DTS-HD MA.

And that’s not listed.

Thanks- I went ahead and bought it- I’ll keep the plus for my bedroom& for traveling.

I wish the new one had Amazon streaming & usb 3 but otherwise looks good for me