WD TV Live 2.02.32 breaks audio in Netflix

I just spent the last several hours troubleshooting, but it would seem that audio being sent through the digital optical cable, and video through the HDMI port does not output audio on all movies/TV shows in Netflix.

I spoke with Netflix and they too believe it might have something to do with the audio stream being sent to the device, since I have no issue running audio HDMI.

I never had any complications using Netflix for a couple years now (I avoid firmware updates, normally, like the plague).  

The last time I did, I couldn’t keep my user/pass info for Netflix.

That being said, I tried reverting back to an older version listed on the customer portal, that didn’t help.  I have since updated back to the latest but I can’t currently have my DTS/Dolby on any of my Netflix shows.

I can, however, play any video I’ve tried from a network share; from AVI files to MKV rips I have made of my BluRays.  The DTS comes in nice and crisp without a hiccup.

Has anyone else experienced this since updating?  Again, this seems to only affect audio in Netflix and coming through the digital optical cable.  If I run everything through HDMI, things seem to work great.

I’ve double-checked my connections, cables, receiver; all is at it should be.

Interestingly enough, not all shows on Netflix seem to be affected.  I run Netflix Canada and was able to watch the following shows with 5.1 through my optical:

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse (don’t judge me!  I needed to test the **bleep** thing for my kid lol)

Archer

The trend seemed to follow mostly children’s shows, these did not work:

Sesame Street

Super Why!

Pingu

I tried all the Netflix tricks such as deactivating my device, logging back in; going from Kids! mode to normal mode, switching to a different profile.  The problems persist.

Here’s hoping this issue gets resolved quickly as this device is really my only device to watch things on the TV. :slight_smile:

Please add to the thread if you’ve run into issues or can think of something to help with since version 2.0.32.  Maybe a BETA firmware to test with?

Thanks again

I just tried a bunch of older and newer Netflix shows (though no kids shows) and did not encounter different behavior than what I have ever had.  My WD SMP is hooked up to A/V receiver via optical link and to TV for video via HDMI.

Those shows that say 5.1 audio are reported by receiver as Dolby Digital and those that are not listed as 5.1 used Dolby Pro Logic on the receiver.  Same behavior I have always had with audio from the WD SMP boxes.  Latest firmware had no effect on Netflix audio for me.

Assume you mean 2.02.32.

In contrast to your issue, I am not getting DTS/Dolby via HDMI, but optical works. PCM does work over HDMI.

Edit: HDMI CEC was causing the problem. I enabled it at the same time I updated the firmware.

Yes, I did indeed incorrectly mention that firmware.  I have since edited my post’s title.

enzoid wrote:

Assume you mean 2.02.32.

In contrast to your issue, I am not getting DTS/Dolby via HDMI, but optical works. PCM does work over HDMI.

Edit: HDMI CEC was causing the problem. I enabled it at the same time I updated the firmware.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I also have no audio on some titles with the Netflix app using optical out with this version of the firmware. Does anybody know how far back the firmware we have to go to get audio back!!?

To clarify HDMI CEC on or off the problem persists for me!