WD TV HD Media Player Generation 1

There are movies do not support the current version.
Why not release these updates for the device?

The WDTV HD Gen 1 is a “Legacy” product. 

It is no longer being supported.

So the short answer is that WD launches a product, we buy it, but they forget about it and we are now alone with a nice brick.

What is the motivation to buy other WD products?

CAVA.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

The WDTV HD Gen 1 is a “Legacy” product. 

It is no longer being supported.

Yep…  Just like every other piece of tech in the world…  

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yep…  Just like every other piece of tech in the world…  

Well, i guess tha is the difference between successful companies and some others.  I have had my ipod for almost 4 years now and it still gets updates…  but good luck with that principle.

Besides that, we are not asking for complicated things here. Just a simple update to support other video/audio formats or fix flaws.  We know that expecting WiFi support might too much, considering WD has other products with that feature, but improving the current functionality should be something easy that will also give some confidence if the customer thinks of buying the next generation product.

Ok, so how long is long enough?

You do know you can’t answer that “correctly,” right?

You are right, hard to tell.  I am sorry, but I am not in the mood for an ethernal discussion.  My take away is that this is a company policy and buying a WD product is taking the risk of not having support or updates after it is replaced by a new model.  I know WD is not the only one with that policy, but it is just not good enough for WD customers.

WD has the opportunity of making something different and, in that process, ensure customer loyalty.  Technology evolves and we will need to replace our old WD TV soon, the question is if we will do it with a WD product or not. Having good support and updates will be a consideration when that time comes.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok, so how long is long enough?

You do know you can’t answer that “correctly,” right?

Indeed.   And I agree, BTW… :wink:

With this type of product line, I would hope a three-year window would be achievable.

And WD stops doing firmware updates Looooong before they actually mark them as “Legacy…”

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Indeed.   And I agree, BTW… :wink:

With this type of product line, I would hope a three-year window would be achievable.

And WD stops doing firmware updates Looooong before they actually mark them as “Legacy…”

Thanks, that helps to clarify.  Best Regards. CAVA