WD TV HD - HDMI to DVI No Sound Solution?

Hey guys,

just recently got a WD TV HD … awesome gadget IMO but i’ve still got a very annoying problem.

my TV is quite dated but still capable of hd at 720p. unfortunately it’s not equipped with an hdmi input … only DVI.

so i bought a hdmi-to-dvi cable and it works fine, crystal clear video, but of course no sound. i also have a rca connector plugged in to fetch the audio but my tv just won’t take it. i can still watch everything in standard quality with the rca but … come on … what the …???

is there any way to get the audio up and running together with hd video without buying a new tv? is it even possible to grab the audio separately with the rca or will it be ignored forever?

i have no other means of audio with that thing.

help would be very appreciated.

cheers

The RCA cables on the WD TV are different than regular RCA cables.  Are you using the RCA cables that came with the wdtv?

yep, i do.

i’ve also tried an rca to scart adapter on top, which i’m currently using to watch (and hear) standard video, but it won’t take the audio when hdmi is selected. without the scart adapter, the video was just b/w and noisy.

Shogoki2015 wrote:

Hey guys,

just recently got a WD TV HD … awesome gadget IMO but i’ve still got a very annoying problem.

my TV is quite dated but still capable of hd at 720p. unfortunately it’s not equipped with an hdmi input … only DVI.

so i bought a hdmi-to-dvi cable and it works fine, crystal clear video, but of course no sound. i also have a rca connector plugged in to fetch the audio but my tv just won’t take it. i can still watch everything in standard quality with the rca but … come on … what the …???

is there any way to get the audio up and running together with hd video without buying a new tv? is it even possible to grab the audio separately with the rca or will it be ignored forever?

i have no other means of audio with that thing.

help would be very appreciated.

cheers

CAn I ask what FW version you have running in your WD TV HD?.  I just bot a bran new one and using the HDMI-DVI adapter (or cable, I tried both) I only get 480p.  I’m thinking I might be able to downgrade the firmware somehow…

Thanks

1 Like

Wayne,

I believe that if you took the RCA cables apart that came with the WD player and compared them with any other set of RCA cables, you would find they are identical. 

(bump)

jkb242 wrote:

Wayne,

I believe that if you took the RCA cables apart that came with the WD player and compared them with any other set of RCA cables, you would find they are identical. 

Then plug in any other set, and see if it works.  If it does, then you’re right.  If it doesn’t, then the cables are not wired to the same color coordinated outputs.