Wd tv dead!

After trying to upgrade the firmware from 1.03.22 BETA to 1.03.35 BETA my WD TV LIVE is now WD TV DEAD! New firmware found blahblah reboot and bang… it’s not so LIVE anymore. Unit bricked and my WD portable HDD WD3200ML also destroyed because it’s not recognized by any computer any more.  I doubt there’ll ever be a happy ending to this story…

Ok, you’re going to have to be a bit more detailed.  

What are the symptoms your Live is giving you?

And no, the WDTV won’t “Destroy” your hard drive.  It’s possible the partition table got munged, but that’s easy to fix on your PC.

How could I fix the partition table, if my HDD isn’t recognized anymore?

But about my Live, i was upgrading the firmware, and then, after 1st reboot, the unit just went dead. No menus, even no logos, nothing. Plugged out the USB stick and HDD, but no difference.

It’s probably just changed the video settings to something that’s not recognized.  A “Bricked” unit will display a message that the firmware is corrupt and give recovery instructions.

Try using the different video outputs (HDMI / Component / Composite).

As to your hard drive, if your PC really doesn’t recognize it, then the HD is dead.  But it’s not very likely the WD did it.

It should be recognized in the Disk Manager, even if the partition is wiped.

OK, then it’s technically not ‘bricked’, but still not working. Maybe I should try ‘Hardware reset’ button, then?

About my HDD, I’ll try the Disk Manager.

My WD TV LIVE is alive again now, after I did hardware reset and then factory settings reset. Alas, no HDMI 12 bits anymore… Only difference so far… LOL

But my HDD is dead for sure. Nothing in Disk Manager.

Nothing in Control Panel / Device Manager, either?

nothing

takora wrote:

My WD TV LIVE is alive again now, after I did hardware reset and then factory settings reset. Alas, no HDMI 12 bits anymore… Only difference so far… LOL

But my HDD is dead for sure. Nothing in Disk Manager.

What firmware are you on now?

Do you really need 12 bits?

Try a free Partition manager for the hard disc and see what you get. Sometimes Windows cannot see things that dedicated programs can.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Be a bit more positive. Its only been 4 hours and its already only half as bad as it was.

It seems that the firmware upgrade was successful, though (1.03.35 Beta). Hard to believe, but true.

Now I should check the HDD, I guess. If I’m lucky, my data is recoverable.

In regards to your hard drive- if it’s a WD drive download Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see if it recognizes the drive. If it’s not a WD get the equivilent tool from the drive manufactuer.

You might also want to try plugging it into a different wall outlet (I used to just think this was bunk, but I’ve actually had it fix issues before) making sure not to use an extension cable or surge protector.

Also try replacing the USB cable- it’s possible the cable is bad.