WD TV Atmos support

Can anyone confirm whether or not the current gen WD TV can properly decode Dolby Atmos streams? If not, is this something that is patchable? I did a search of the forums by didn’t find any information.

tribunal88 wrote:

Can anyone confirm whether or not the current gen WD TV can properly decode Dolby Atmos streams? If not, is this something that is patchable? I did a search of the forums by didn’t find any information.

Define what you mean by “properly decode.”

If you mean that it can decode them and send the core AC-3, then yes.   All Dolby-capable decoders can do that.

If you mean that it can bitstream the full Atmos core+extensions, then I don’t know.   So far, NOTHING has Atmos encoding yet…  As far as I know, the first BD with Atmos has only been shipping for a few days now.

So let us know when you get it.  :)

Highly unlikely … (to impossible) on the curent generation of WDTV’s

Would also require a High-End AV Reciever … plus a Powerful Mult-Core processor device

We’ve also found that the PlayStation 4 is capable of outputting a Dolby Atmos soundtrack , as long as the audio setting from within the Blu-ray application, is set to “Bitstream (Direct)”. Unfortunately, at the time of writing the Xbox One was not able to output a Dolby Atmos signal. We’ve also had issues getting the soundtrack to output through a PS3.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131069-dolby-atmos-explained-what-is-it-and-how-do-i-get-it

The WDTV is a Single Core device … specs: Sigma Designs SMP8670AD 700 MHz processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory from Nanya

I just tried an Atmos movie against the WDTV and it recognizes it as TrueHD stream. I don’t have the WDTV hooked up to a home theatre, but surround sound at least was coming over the HDMI.

Has anyone tried feeding his AVR with Dolby TrueHD ATMOS using pass through via HDMI of your WDTV? Do you see on your AVR display that it is playing the ATMOS information as well and not only TrueHD?