WD SYNC unable to sync file

Hi, Some files are not synced for some reason.

1. I checked file names for foreign characters as described here
    Error
  2. I tried moving flies from WD Sync folder in my PC and restarting WD Sync App as described here:
    Error
  3. I tried to reinstall WD Sync again no luck.

WD Sync App version is 1.4.6698, latest.
OS Windows 10

Hi neurocloud,

Please check these two links as well

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11419

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18623

I’m also in this situation, I’ve followed all the links and nothing has changed. I’ve also tried to sync again after formatting the cloud and now I’ve more problematic files than before, it’s terrible! Some months ago I had no problem and now I’m obliged to upload everything from browser, WD Sync is totally useless.

WD Sync is what it is. More than a few have problems with it. One option, that others have done, is to uninstall WD Sync and move to using third party sync programs like Free File Sync (https://freefilesync.org/) or Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155).

The downside to these third party sync programs is the inability to securely sync to a remote My Cloud without the user having to perform a series of extra steps or use a VPN tunnel. For anyone who only syncs to a local network My Cloud the third party sync programs offer a solution to the various issues with the WD Sync software.

1 Like

I already tried these solutions. They are totally useless.
WD Sync is a garbage. Thank you WD for your great job.
I wasted a lot of time trying to make it work.
Ended up using freefilesync , it has real time sync utility that can be used insteead of WD Sync

1 Like

Hey Bennor,
I have a Problem using Freefilesync and WDmyCloud2ex

While comparing the directories from PC and WDMC2ex I am Always getting this message:

Die Dateiattribute von \Wdmycloudex2\pc2013\pdfDruck](file:///\Wdmycloudex2\pc2013\pdfDruck)
koennen nicht gelesen werden.
Fehlercode 58: Der angegebene Server kann den angeforderten Vorgang nicht ausfuehren.
[GetFileInformationByHandle]

It’s in German but I hope you’ll understand this message.
FreeFileSync always wants to write a file named “sync.ffs_db” into the Destination directory to compare
but WDMC2ex doesn’t allow this and sends an error-message back to FFS.

What I’ll have to do to connect FFS and WDMC2ex for comparing and snyc?

Greetings from Germany
ibg

Why won’t your My Cloud EX2 allow for the “sync.ffs_db” to be written? Is that particular folder/Share set to read only?

You may want to post your issue to the dedicated EX2 series subforum where people more knowledgeable with that device may be able to assist. The EX2 series has more options than the single bay My Cloud devices have and there may be a Dashboard setting for the Share (or folder) that is causing the problem that is not available on the single bay My Cloud line.

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-ex2

Hey Bennor,

thanks for your answer - I’ll try ist !

Hello Everybody,
I had the same problem for several days (just 41 files constantly cycling) and it has been driving me nuts. I searched many, and I mean MANY people with the same issue in so many forums, but everything is reboot this, restart sync…(which could end up causing many problems for files that will not sync). So here is what I did to finally get rid of the “Pending file XXX of YYY” constantly cycling.

1. Created a temp folder on my desktop to move suspect files to…this action would also prevent the worry " an oh ■■■■ that file is gone forever in case something screws up)
  2. Left click on the WD sync icon, and select View Notifications.
    a) There should be a file listed that says Unable to Sync, this cycles for each file that fails.
  3. Click the Info button.
    a) Make note of the Source and Destination locations for this file
    b) The more files you look at having the problem, the more likely you will see a pattern and the file(s) are most likely related and happened during a power outage or a moving of a file during the syncing process.
  4. At this point, you will need to determine which files to place in the “TEMP folder” created in Step one. For me the Destination folder is from where I MOVED the files. And note, MOVE them - do NOT copy them.
    a) So specifically, I moved a suspect file (from 3a above) from my destination folder to test and lo and behold after a cycle I was at 40 of 40 files (not 41). So moved all the files from my 2 folders that were suspect, actually I moved more than that (I moved the entire folder of files)- I didn’t want to go through every file (about 200).
  5. At this point, I got the wonderful “All files up to date”!
  6. Don’t forget to move the files back to the Source Sync Folder from the Temp Folder from Step 1 that you created on your desktop.

I hope this action works for anyone else who has this dreaded, annoying problem. Who knows I may get this error again in a couple years and need to refer to it from here, since I can forget things like this fix. Other notes, you want to fix this problem asap, since it takes up a lot of time searching/syncing each problem file. Once you have “up to date” instead of “pending”, files should sync quite fast when they are changed.