WD Sync saved my digital professional life!

I’m a high school math teacher, and I use WD Sync to sync all of my course files, notes, worksheets, tests, quizzes, etc. that I create (I make A LOT of my own materials) to My Cloud from my school laptop. It’s worked great, I don’t have to lug the darn thing back and forth nor worry about flash drives. And changes are saved in both places - I access the Cloud on my home desktop as a mapped drive.

A little background: my school runs Windows 7 and the wifi randomly goes out (old building) usually at least once a day. This happened on Wednesday morning and I could not get it to connect again, so I restarted my computer. This is usually a point of contention, because people complain that it takes way too long – which it does – because it syncs the Windows 7 user account profile to the server (so our IT guy says). It loads up after a few minutes, a message appears saying there was a problem syncing my profile (happens a lot). Then I open up my Documents folder and it is COMPLETELY BLANK except for anything I did in the past week (don’t know why). Panic initially ensues, then I realize it is all backed up at home.

2 periods go by and then I have a free period to investigate. I log in to mycloud.com to check the files, and find that some are missing. Then I realize what happened - WD Sync did its job, it saw the file folders change (as in, get emptied) and it removed the files from the Cloud! Ugh, more frustrating!

Then when I get home I remember that WD Sync keeps copies of all deleted & changed files. Sure enough, there they are! I was able to recover everything that was missing. Got My Cloud back to how it was, then I resynced with WD Sync on my laptop, which I had brought home.

IT guy says problems should be fixed, but my files still did not come back, besides what I had synced.

So I made 2 backup copies of 8+ years of course materials, and am thinking about putting it in several more places and also onto a CD to prevent this from happening again!

TL;DR - work computer deleted entire My Documents folder, WD Sync saved copies of all deleted files and I was able to recover them!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community.

Nice to read about a positive outcome :joy: