WD Sync ( no meta data syncing? )

I had been *really* holding out hope that WD Sync MyCloud OS3 would help salvage my investment in this device. 

Specifically, using the new WD Sync tool to sync multiple Mac’s documents files carefully curated with meta tags for organization.  

Sadly, the very first test file came across the sync missing tags.  So much for that! 

Disappointingly so many other services can support this, …Dropbox, Evernote, Simplenote, iCloud.  

I get the sinking feeling that this product will never live up to expectations of honestly doing much of anything well, just mediocre.  

Hi there, I’m sorry to read that the software is not working as expected. We have passed this along to support.

sgallant04 wrote:

I had been *really* holding out hope that WD Sync MyCloud OS3 would help salvage my investment in this device. 

Specifically, using the new WD Sync tool to sync multiple Mac’s documents files carefully curated with meta tags for organization.  

Sadly, the very first test file came across the sync missing tags.  So much for that! 

Disappointingly so many other services can support this, …Dropbox, Evernote, Simplenote, iCloud.  

I get the sinking feeling that this product will never live up to expectations of honestly doing much of anything well, just mediocre.  

Are you manipulating the doc meta tags?  And are none of them syncing, or just the ones you are manipulating?

[edit]

What about the file metadata, is that being transferred across in the sync?

Yes I’m using OS X tags in my files. ( file meta data; in the file attributes )  Both Dropbox & Icloud sync my tags by supporting the full file attributes.  

…somehow WD’s implementation of Sync is not…

…in other words it’s not application specific like Microsoft Words version of “tags” or a separate db file of tags.

OSX saves tags as an  extended attribute , in com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags. You can check them yourself by using the  mdls command like this:

mdls -name kMDItemUserTags Hello 

"

To answer your question, I would say then that the file metadata is NOT being transferred across in the sync. 

regards -sg

So, just to clarify, WD Sync is dropping extended tag attributes but not affecting the file’s core metadata itself.  Correct?

[edit]

We’ve already passed this issue along for investigation, I’m just getting a clearer understanding of it.