WD Sync Exclusion List

Hello,

does someone know if there is a exclusion list for WD Sync for Mac?
I’ve got problems with my Photos library.

Thanks
Steffen

1 Like

The following article contains the requested information.

Certain types of files or folders are not synchronized by WD Sync
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=11730

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you also know if I can edit this file?

Yes there is a file (actually two) that controls the WD Sync Exclusion list and yes it can be edited. However, editing those files may potentially cause problems with WD Sync. As such you do so at your own risk.

On Windows 7, the two files are located in the following folder, the location on your computer may differ.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD App Manager\Plugins\WD Sync\App\Plugins

The two files are:
BaseBlacklist.xml
OrionBlacklist.xml

Not quite sure what the OrionBlacklist.xml file does exactly as I didn’t look at it closely, but the BaseBlacklist.xml can be edited to include file extensions or folder locations that the WD Sync program should ignore/exclude. I experimented with excluding “.zip” files in the “extensions” section, example below, and it appeared to work. Note: In order to save the modified file I had to save it to another location then copy it back into the folder location listed above. After updating the file the computer may need to be restarted for the update to take effect.

<extension value=".zip" />

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful hint. Finally I found the file on Mac OS. It is located in /Library/Application Support/WD Sync/WD Sync Service.app/Contents/Resources/fileExclusions.plist

Hi, i did it exactly as you did. I changed the blacklist and nothing happened
did it work for you?
many thanks

Yes it worked for me. Did you restart your computer? As mentioned above one may have to restart the computer for WD Sync to pickup the change. Also as mentioned above I had to save the file to another location first then copy that file to the directory location indicated above in my prior post.

Yes, I copied the original files to another folder, then I modified these files and copied to the original folder and restarted, but nothing.
anything else neccesary to do?
may be is neccesary to re inicialize any file/database that contains which file needs to be synched?
for example I deleted from de blacklist some extension files, buy how wdsync recognize this older files to be sync now?
Many thanks!

Not sure what else to say, its working on my end on a Windows 7 PC. The following is the contents of my edited BaseBlacklist.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<blacklist>
  <attributes>
    <attribute value="temporary" />
    <attribute value="reparsePoint" />
  </attributes>
  <extensions>
    <extension value=".ds_store" />
    <extension value=".tmp" />
    <extension value=".temp" />
    <extension value=".wdsync" />
    <extension value=".zip" />
  </extensions>
  <contains>
    <contain value="MSOCache" />
    <contain value="config.msi" />
    <contain value="ntuser.dat" />
    <contain value="[CommonApplicationData]\Western Digital\" />
    <contain value="[CommonApplicationData]\Microsoft\Windows\Caches\" />
    <contain value="[Root]\Drivers\" />
    <contain value="[Root]\Temp\" />
    <contain value="[Windows]" />
    <contain value="[RecycleBin]" />
    <contain value="$recycle.bin" />
    <contain value="recycler" />
    <contain value="System Volume Information" />
    <contain value="\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows" />
    <contain value="WD SmartWare.swstor" />
    <contain value=".WD Hidden Items" />
  </contains>
  <starts>
    <start value="~" />
  </starts>
  <ends>
    <end value="-journal" />
    <end value=".dropbox" />
    <end value=".dropbox.attr" />
    <end value="desktop.ini" />
    <end value="hiberfil.sys" />
    <end value="pagefile.sys" />
    <end value="thumbs.db" />
  </ends>
</blacklist>

As the above BaseBlacklist.xml file indicates “.zip” files are on the excluded list. Below is the results. First image is from my local computer hard drive (My Cloud folder), the second image is from the My Cloud sync folder. The second image shows the “.zip” files (3 files) were not synced.

When you copied the altered file back to the original folder you must overwrite the original file - don’t choose to keep both.

Thanks for that - worked for me.

File and extension exclusion location on MacOSX:
/Library/Application\ Support/WD Sync/WD Sync Service.app/Contents/Resources/

• fileExclusions.plist
  • extensionExclusions.plist

I have already edited and removed from the files the rules that prevent copying files starting with dot. I edited the files: OrionBlacklist.xml and BaseBlacklist.xml and even then wd-sync is not copying the files starting with dot. How can I do this? I need it to copy configuration files like:
.gitignore, .eslintrc.js, .babelrc, .eslintignore, etc…

My files:
OrionBlacklist.xml :

BaseBlacklist.xml :

I need mycloud to sync these files.

Like one user above, I too have run into a problem with additions to BaseBlacklist.xml not being adopted after restarting WDSync or rebooting. I’m curious if someone else has had this happen and resolved it yet.