WD Studio II - stuck in a bind - corrupt drives not recognised/ can't change (using a MAC)

Hi there, I have an (old) WD Mybook Studio II USB/Firewire drive.
(It has a 2TB limit, which is part of how I’ve got into a bind.)
Background and Situation:
Took out 1TB drive (A) and replaced it with a 6TB WD Red drive (with the existing 1TB drive (B) WD Green).
Formatted whilst connected to a Synology NAS and now I’m stuck.

1. Only recognises 2 TB (partly expected, and that in itself is not an issue).
  2. Will only work with the two drives I have formatted as 2TB (presumably in RAID 0 - operating as one partition. Can’t reconfigure in any way, and can only use these two drives, as is.)
  3. Can’t re-partition with OS X Disk Utility (tried a download utility but was no good). Can format, but not re-partition)
  4. WD Utilities doesn’t recognise the drive being connected (although Mac OS X does)
  5. WD Universal Firmware updater recognises a drive exists, but says the drive is locked. (No password has ever been set.) When connected to the Mac I can read and write files.
  6. Can’t change back to the original 2x 1TB WD Green drives (no other combination than the new 6TB Red and old 1TB Green. All other combinations seem to boot the drive normally, but then instead of front light going to slow pulse, it goes to a 1 sec flash (boot error)
  7. Can’t use any of the drives as a single drive (with the 2nd drive not installed)

There is no data I need on any of the drives.

I don’t know how to recover this situation and how to get back to having working drives, let alone functioning 2TB WD MyBook with RAID options.

I have tried all the help pages I can find on any related topic, and I have searched (but not yet found) anything that helps my situation.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi phantom99,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.