WD Store used RMA contact details for marketing?

Recently started getting promotional e-mails from the WD Store, which was puzzling as I’ve had no dealings with them in the past. They shouldn’t have any of my details.

Wouldn’t have known how they got my e-mail address but for the fact the messages were being sent to a unique one-off address I’d supplied to WD’s warranty services form two years ago.

Another of those cases where a company “accidentally” uses the wrong e-mail list for marketing purposes?

Hi Barfolomew, please note that when you create your support portal account you have the option to disable emails from WD. To view this option, log in to your support portal and then click on “ACCOUNT INFORMATION” in the upper left side of the screen. 

WD SUPPORT PORTAL
https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/ind/?lang=en

But I never created a Support Portal account. My information was provided to the Warranty Services section of the site as it existed at the time (April 2012), for the sole purpose of RMAing a drive.

Here’s how it appeared from start to finish:

I’m seeing the same thing – Yes, WD uses contact info from their various venues for marketing.

Click the unsubscribe link in the email, and I haven’t received any since.

Barfolomew wrote:

Recently started getting promotional e-mails from the WD Store, which was puzzling as I’ve had no dealings with them in the past. They shouldn’t have any of my details.

Wouldn’t have known how they got my e-mail address but for the fact the messages were being sent to a unique one-off address I’d supplied to WD’s warranty services form two years ago.

Another of those cases where a company “accidentally” uses the wrong e-mail list for marketing purposes?

There was nothing accidental about it.  We do, occasionally, reach out to our customers with offers.  That email was on file, so we used it to reach out to you.  As Tony said, if you don’t want to be bothered with promotional emails just click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email, and you won’t be bothered again. 

As a side note, we don’t buy email lists and we don’t sell email lists. All the emails we use to reach out with are from WD product users that have registered their products or have registered to the customer portal. 

Bill_S wrote:

There was nothing accidental about it.  We do, occasionally, reach out to our customers with offers.  That email was on file, so we used it to reach out to you.

To be clear, WD intentionally took e-mail addresses collected for one purpose (RMAing a product) and used them for an unrelated purpose (marketing) without the customers’ express consent? In the context of the series of screenshots I posted, that is what happened if what you said above is applicable.

I also note the WD Store marketing e-mails are handled by subscribermail.com, so the information was shared with at least one third party. The current WD website privacy policy allows this, but the one at the time of my RMA request did not (and that was the one and only occasion I provided my personal info to WD).

How RMA’s were handled back in 2012 has changed significantly.  Now, you must register to our customer portal, and you have to agree or disagree with us using your email to send you offers and notices (a notice could be information relevent to your product).  That is what the moderator was showing you in the above picture.  In your case, because your RMA is several years old, you neither had the chance to agree or disagree with us using your email to send you information, whether for marketing or for product support. 

This means that your opportunity to disagree with us using your email now comes with you clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the email.  I’m sorry if us using your email to notify you of marketing offers offended you.  So, please click the unsubscribe link in the email and you won’t be bothered again. Likewise, if you ever need to do another RMA, you will have the chance to choose to not be emailed with any other offers or notices right up front. 

Concerning subscribermail.com, they are an email hosting company, just like a web hosting company.  We use them to host and email from our email database.  They don’t have access to our email list.  If you care to review their commitment to data security, here is a link: http://www.subscribermail.com/subscribermail/security.html.