Hi
My son and I have built our first PC using the following
Mobo Asus Rog Strix b450f gaming 2
SSD WD SN750 black 500GB
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU rtx 2060
RAM 2x vengeance lpx 8GB
PSU Corsair cx650f

We have installed windows on the SSD but the pc keeps crashing and resetting. It doesn’t seem to be triggered by any thing and will often reset if the pc is idle. We were getting a memory error in the event viewer but we’ve checked the ram and is ok and also used other ram sticks but still get the same reset issue. We have also used a different hard drive in the pc and everything seems to work ok. When we swap the WD SSD into a different PC the same thing happens and the pc resets randomly. This seems to suggest that there is an issue with the SSD.

We’re not PC experts by any means and hoping this community may be able to offer some help and things to check and test.
Otherwise we’ll have to take it to the local PC shop.
Thanks

Hi @JetSetJimbo,

We would suggest installing the drive in a Windows computer as a secondary drive and testing using WD Dashboard.

Title: Western Digital Dashboard
Link: Install Western Digital Dashboard for Drive Performance Monitoring

Thank you. Tried it this evening but the pc seems to recognise the SSD as SCSI rather than NVMe as it’s in a usb enclosure adaptor. I think we may have to try and run dashboard in the pc.

Hi @Keerti_01
We couldn’t get the WD SN750 to run on dashboard other pc using usb enclosure but managed to run it on the pc we’re having issues with. The SMART showed no errors and it’s running current firmware.
What can we try next please.
Thanks

YAH THIS asshole mf wd mf ■■■■ sn750 trash it doesnt have dram cache make nvme trash fail it byte error it crash ur window fk ur whole things locked and relocked until u repower it like remove motherboard battery or remove nvme and replugin

DONT ever but this asshole wd sn750 go for gigabyte aurora

The first version of the SN750 has DRAM, while the SE version is a DRAMless design.Stability issues can be caused by bad NVMe drivers and since PCIe devices have direct memory access, if something is not working right with them, then they can cause memory errors easily, especially if they have bad drivers or other software issues. Or in some cases, issues as simple as the drive not being inserted properly, or too much flex, e.g., placing the drive under a heat spreader but forgetting to remove the protective film from the thermal pad while also not using the standoff and just using the heatspreader’s mount to hold the drive in place.

The first edition of the SN750 is a very good drive from a hardware standpoint, but it has buggy firmware, though the bugs do not impact stability, instead the known bugs impact performance (cutting performance in half in many cases).

its lack of ■■■■■ designed this sn750 mine have same issue after 2day used first 1days worked fine then after 2nd this issue start facing this thing memory locked assigned memory not found u will notice after sometime it mostly issue with auto pagination memory lockedup

i have same thing like u it show me health 100% everything fine on dashboard on wd i have used it on my 1and 2nd day i have no issue but after 2nd day this issue started happen

this thing locked some auto pagination memory i just notice it when pagination memory start to flow it go extend level of max usage of nvme and go crash and locked file and set it undefined address like their no memory existed

if u dont believe go buy gigabyte auror and use it on b450 i have same board and same cpu ryzen 2700x

that is much better designed and have more chipest to auto fix byte error as well has double dram cache

further more the sn750 hold only 1 chip literally useless

It seems you are confusing the SN750 SE with the SN750.

PS, as for DRAM packages, as companies have moved to smaller process nodes (at the cost of lower write endurance), they have also been doing things such as including many NAND dies within a single package. This has becoming an increasingly common trend on m.2 drives where space is limited, as well as cost cutting measures for production lines. For example, a single set of parts but producing 2 different SKUs for an m.2 2280 and an m.2 2230.

As for dashboard support, it can vary depending on the USB enclosure used, thus it is best to connect the drive to a proper m.2 slot in your PC for firmware updates and other similar tasks.

what kind of ■■■■ scammed is that people think it sn750 and buy sn750 se
does not change this fact its scammed product compare it with gigabyte auror vs ur trash sn750
over 80% community crying on ur fked scammed product sn750
create a virtual ram or pagination memory or auto pagination and try to open TASK MANAGER
and monitor after ur ram get full when the memory of virtual ram pagination flow onto ur scammed sn750
will crash nvme instantly only this fk scammed happen on sn750 no cache nor dram memory nor memory error fix chipset

For the build, Which m.2 slot did you use on the motherboard. (even though the top slot has no heatsink, I recommend using it as it will have direct CPU lanes for the SSD, and the SN750 is buggy when dealing with chipset lanes.

Also make sure that the proper standoff was used for the SSD if the SSD end up in a stressed or improper position, then the system will be very unstable.

Also for the system build, which RAM modules did you go for?
Keep in mind that kits in the DDR4 3400+ range will cause stability issues, especially with components with direct memory access such as SSDs and video cards if you just load their XMP profile, you are likely to end up with either an unstable FCLK setting being applied, or an overly slow FCLK, (depending on how the board handles the fabric clock to memory speed ratio, and how long it tried to maintain a 1:1 ratio.

Also if using only 2 memory sticks, use the last slot on each channel since that board uses a daisychain RAM typology rather than a T typology. (2 sticks would go in the 2nd and 4th slot).

Thanks @Razor512
I think we have the SSD in the bottom slot so will try in the top one. We are using proper stand off
The ram is 2x 8GB vengeance lpx DDR4 3200 C16 and are in 2nd and 4th slots.
Looking at the RAM, Corsair site says it’s compatible with the rog strix b440f gaming II mobo but a double check of the QVL from ASUS doesn’t list the RAM for the mobo and Rysen 7 2700x chipset.
Will let you know how it goes with SSD in top position. Thanks

Thanks. We might have to look for another SSD if we can’t get the WD SN750 working.

@Razor512
Tried the SSD in top slot and no difference.
Getting whea logger error Eventid 46 memory error so wondering if it’s not entirely SSD.
Will contact ASUS to check compatibility of b450f mobo CPU and RAM

not ssd its nvme just go buy https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Solid-State-Drive/AORUS-NVMe-Gen4-SSD-500GB#kf
dont waste ur time on sn750 it crash always

Usually even if a memory kit is not in the QVL, as long as it is fairly close to other items in the list, chances are extremely good that it will work fine. PS, by default, the DOCP setting will be off, if possible try enabling it. Since the fabric clock speed is tied to the memory clock speed, if the memory is running at the base JDEC settings, then it will have a significant negative impact on CPU performance.

Beyond that, if the RAM is reasonably stable, e.g., able to handle memtest for around 1 hour or so, then that WHEA error is unlikely to be caused by the RAM so frequently.

If you can test with a different storage drive, just to run windows and do a basic memory stability test. if it is stable, then it would be worth doing an RMA on the SN750.

While I have not used that specific board, I have used the SN750 on boards with that chipset before and did not encounter stability issues. though it is always possible to get a lemon.

Beyond that for NVMe when it comes to compatibility, since they all have to conform to specific standards, you are unlikely to end up with a traditional m.2 NVMe SSD that will have compatibility issues on a standard motherboard.

The SN750 is increasing greatly in popularity since it is no longer overpriced for its performance and write endurance. Especially when the driveis on sale for $100 for a 1TB SN750 first edition, it becomes the best price to performance ratio PCIe 3.0 m.2 SSD at 1TB.

In the past, it wasn’t as good of a value since they were charging just as much as the MLC NAND SSDs while offering TLC NAND. But today,if you can get the SN750 gen1 for $100-115, then you will have a PCIe 3.0 drive that will offer pretty much the max noticeable performance from the interface. when it comes to read performance. After that the next noticeable performance boost comes from Gen 4 drives (provided you have a gen 4 m.2 slot and a compatible CPU that will operate in that mode. Then the upper end gen 4 SSDs, such as the WD SN850, Samsung 980 pro, and the Gigabyte aorus Gen4 7000s 1TB. But if in a gen 3 slot, the performance benefits will not be present.

DONT listen to this razor512 this account is created by wd owner always support wd have no IQ TO fix their own nvme pathetic fk ur sn750 scammer mf give me my money refund
i tried multiple brand only ur trash sn750 1 chipset trash designed intentionally removed dram memory and cache , chipset has no chip to fix bits error to auto fix it

Top trash1 award sn750

if u want best nvme which can do virtual ram as well as auto pagination as well as all function without any fail or error and can automatically fix itself

go with gigabyte aurora

• PCIe 4.0x4, NVMe 1.3 Interface
  • DDR4 DRAM cache
  • 8 CH with 32 CEs
  • Phison 4th Gen LDPC & RAID ECC
  • Support Pyrite
  • Heat spreader for controller

sn750 literally a scam product in history doesnt have DDR4 DRAM cache literally assume if ur ram go max extend and try to occupy ur nvme for ram purpose if it doesnt have have dram cache literally ur data currpt forever and it does not have any fixing bits chips on it

Hi @Razor512
DOCP enabled and ran complete memtest over 2.5hrs and no issues with RAM.
Looks like SSD needs replacing. Thanks for your help

@ haideraf

I know you are upset about the SN750 SE. I don’t work for WD, and all I pointed out is that you are confusing the SN750SE for the regular SN750. In your case, it seems like you got a DOA product which is rare. Aside from that for the SN750 series, the only major issue is the firmware issue that causes the SSD to use a small payload size when using chipset PCIe lanes rather than direct CPU lanes. It is a well known issue and for some reason WD is refusing to fix it even though they know about the issue enough to fix the bug in their SN850.

Here is the PCB for the SN750 1TB.

Notice the 1GB DRAM module from SK Hynix.

Simply put, your complaint is about a different product than what the OP is having problems with.
Furthermore, you are recommending an SSD that is not only significantly more expensive, the user will not even be able to experience its full performance due to the platform being on the gen 3 platform. While there is a benefit in getting faster hardware, in this situation, to know if an SSD that uses PCIe gen 4, and is able to actually saturate a gen 4 interface, you would need info on when they plan to upgrade to a new platform. If someone is not in a ruch to do a new build anytime soon, and their current platform is PCIe gen 3, then odds are likely that the price premium for a high end gen 4 SSD will not be worth it, and when someone is ready to move to a new platform (given that late 2022, both Intel and AMD will be utilizing PCIe 5 and faster SSDs).

For me personally, my primary SSD is a Samsung 970 Pro, and my secondary SSD is the SN750. The 970 pro performs significantly better than the SN750 for my use case, due to the use of 2 bit per cell MLC NAND where the controller of the SSD is the bottleneck, as I work with large media files and for intermediate tasks between 2 different applications, I will render and export uncompressed. While the files become massive, an SSD that has all MLC NAND can can handle it smoothly with completely consistent performance. For everything else, the TLC NAND works great since for my other tasks, I am never really end up exhausting the SLC cache that they rely on.

The SSD that you have been complaining about, is the SN750 SE 1TB.
This is the PCB for the SN750 SE.

It moved to a design that lacks DRAM, and uses a new NAND package on a smaller process node and more layers. It also uses a PCIe 4.0 controller though it doesn’t seem to utilize enough of the channels to actually reach 4.0 speeds. The controller used is optimized for DRAMless operation (relying on a small amount of internal DRAM to manage the firmware and likely just an index), thus when using the SLC cache, it performs better than the first gen SN750 with the DRAM. But as soon as it exhausts the SLC cache and you do not give it enough time of the SLC cache to clear, then the performance drops to below the level of the first gen SN750 when its own SLC cache is exhausted.

why this ■■■■ both with similar name with completely difference way of work point

what happen if this ■■■■ attach se attach to b450 gen 3 turbo port pcie