WD SmartWare wrongly says 30-day trial is over (for My Passport Ultra)

Hi. I’ve used this 2TB My Passport Ultra external drive for about 2 years to automatically backup my data, using the software “WD SmartWare” that comes with the drive.

A few months ago, a message appeared telling me my 30-day trial had expired, and that I had to buy a membership to go on saving my data. This seems impossible, since I’ve been using this software for about 2 years. I believe that the full version comes with the product, and that a problem on my computer (on the registry or something?) creates this confusion for the software.

I’m having a lot of problems with my computer right now and I need to save all my data to completly reinstall the operating system, so a registry problem or something similar would not surprise me. So, would this be possible, and if so, how can I fix this? Thank you very much.

Hi, the WD Smartware pro version is a paid version of the software (for user that don’t have a drive which have a key). As you have a USB drive you shouldn’t have any problems, as the pro version is used for NON WD USB drives and for some drives like the WD Elements.

I am having the same issue, my 2tb drive is not accessible. Smartware now says I need to input an Activation Code. My model number is: WDBABM7500ABK-NESN.
This was purchased in 2009. I have the original email, as instructed. However, when I try to use it to retrieve my Activation code I get a 404, file not found error. HELP!!!

I am also having this problem! Did this issue ever get resolved? I am now required to enter an activation code on a storage device that I have owned for over 10 years!