WD SmartWare won't install on My Book Essential USB 3.0

I know I asked the same question a few years ago and got the solutions…

But my last question is for My Passport Essential… I already tried the same steps to My Book Essential and still the SmartWare kept saying Application Not Started From Drive…

I think the SmartWare I downloaded from here is different than for My Book Essential… Because I extract the image file and the manual is for My Passport so I can’t install it on My Book…

Please help… Thanks

kenzhong2 wrote:

I know I asked the same question a few years ago and got the solutions…

But my last question is for My Passport Essential… I already tried the same steps to My Book Essential and still the SmartWare kept saying Application Not Started From Drive…

I think the SmartWare I downloaded from here is different than for My Book Essential… Because I extract the image file and the manual is for My Passport so I can’t install it on My Book…

Please help… Thanks

You CAN’T install smartware on either a Mybook or a Passport. it installs on YOUR computer like a regular program, you don’t even NEED a WD drive to install smartware. Whatever you’re doing, you’re doing it it wrong, or you’re not clear on what you want to do.

You can download smartware from a passport, mybook or router and it will pick any compatible WD drive. You can update it to the pro version and it will find any USB drive even if not WD so it doesn’t need WD drives. So what exactly are you trying to do? The link on your post takes you to the drivers page (USB drivers) for some Mybooks and passports that use it, and a very outdate image from older Smartware drives that used to come with a VCD with all the content instead of having the erasable content inse the drive.

If you just want the latest version of smartware for any wd drive or non-wd drive (After buying the Pro upgrade), then that’s here.

Once installed and in your regular list of programs then you SHOULD be able to open smartware and see the home tab EVEN if you don’t have a single wd drive connected to your computer. If it’s not opening up then the software is broken in your computer, and you should try defragmentating the system and re-installing .Net 4 from Microsoft.

1 Like

Sorry, i didn’t make my problem clear…

I meant when I bought My Passport or My Book, inside the drive have SmartWare software, manuals, etc

So when I plugged the drive on another computer, I can install SmartWare through the drive…

But now after I formatted the drive and copy the SmartWare that I downloaded from here, the SmartWare always said Application Not Started From Drive

My question is how to fix this? So I can install SmartWare from the drive anywhere like the first time I bought this drive…

Thanks

kenzhong2 wrote:

Sorry, i didn’t make my problem clear…

I meant when I bought My Passport or My Book, inside the drive have SmartWare software, manuals, etc

So when I plugged the drive on another computer, I can install SmartWare through the drive…

But now after I formatted the drive and copy the SmartWare that I downloaded from here, the SmartWare always said Application Not Started From Drive

My question is how to fix this? So I can install SmartWare from the drive anywhere like the first time I bought this drive…

Thanks

You can’t if you erased the drive. The content was outdaed anywhay because that user manual and that smartware version is not outdated on the disc image. Just download and copy the installer for smartware from wd’s site and the PDF user manual. And again, don’t try to run it from the drive from the page you loaded. Take smartware from the page I gate you and install it on your computer.

Ignore the drive, you’re making yourself more complicated than it should.

After smartware is installe don the system THEN you can copy the installer I gave you since the one on your post is OUTDATED.