WD SmartWare update/.NET Framework 4

In attempting to update the software for My Passport Essential (Win7), I see the following specific caution in Step 2 of the 12-9-10 update:

“WD SmartWare 1.4 will only work with Microsoft .NET 3.5 Framework. WD SmartWare 1.4 will not work with Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.x or version 4.x.”

Unfortunately, my PC has the .NET Framework version 4.x installed. I see no further instructions addressing how to downgrade from .NET 4 to .NET 3.5.

I would greatly appreciate guidance on how to downgrade.

Thanks very much.

eticket

I think you simply download from MS and install it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Joe

I have the same problem, tried that but cant manage to get 3.5 to run. ow come WD software doesnt work with newer MS software? now the software is completely useless. I cant get it to downgrade.

Well, WD? It’s been 2 MONTHS since I posted my initial question about the .NET Framework 3.5/4. Thanks for your prompt NO reply!

Apparently, it’s time to look for another backup vendor because EXCELLENT (or even marginal) customer service is meaningless to you. Given that there are so many alternatives now for backing up one’s system (the cloud for one), I’m surprised at your lack of assistance. I’m DEFINITELY going to take your support (or lack thereof) into consideration the next time Western Digital offers a competing product for my needs.

If anyone wants me, I’ll be using my WD Passport Essential backup drive in my next deep sea fishing expedition.

Chow!

eticket

You do understand that this is a user forum.  And as such, Tech Support doesn’t monitor it.  Just for you to know .Net 4.0+ can simply be uninstalled and .Net 3.52 can be reinstalled.  However, for this to work, you must have .Net 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 installed just as well, because they build on top of each other.  I would do them in order if you don’t have all of them.