WD SmartWare software will not update - v. 1.4.1.1 to 2.1.0 (MyBook Essential 2TB)

Hi,

I got this MyBook Essential 2TB as a gift. After install, I updated the firmware (currently revision 1.0.16). I’m not sure that this is the right revision, as the Windows release on the WD site says “3.2.0.8D” but after I download the most recent firmware update off the website, it tells me that revision 1.0.16 is the most current one.

The issue I have now is that the version of SmartWare that came with my system is version 1.4.1.1. It tells me that an update is available and I’ve downloaded the newest released update (v.2.1.0). When I run the installer to update, it runs, asks for UAC permission to run as admin, executes and then tells me that it is completed. When I check the files, none of the files appear to have been updated, and when I start SmartWare, it still shows as 1.4.1.1. I’ve uninstalled SmartWare, rebooted, re-installed SmartWare, rebooted, re-applied update, rebooted, and it still shows as version 1.4.1.1?

Any advice as to how to get this to actually update to v.2.1.0 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers,

kawaii

Hello,

Please try to unisntall Smartware and then do a clean install of version 2.1.0

How to uninstall WD SmartWare Version 1.6.x and earlier from Windows (7, Vista, or XP) and Mac OSX (10.4, 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7)

Hi,

I have tried uninstalling v. 1.4.1.1 and then just installing v.2.1.0. When I do that, the v.2.1.0 installer runs and finishes but does not install anything. (I checked both the Program Files directories (both Program Files and Program Files (x86)) as well as the “Installed Program” section and it does not appear to be installed in either locations. Is there any log file anywhere that I could check to see why/if it is failing?

Thanks!

Cheers,

kawaii