WD Smartware Made Computer Run Extremely Slow (to the point that it was not usable)

Last winter I purchased a My Cloud feeling very excited.  :smiley:

And then, I got it all set up with the WD “Smartware” (or whatever the proprietary software is called) and my computer began running terribly slowly – machine took 20 mins to start up and then apps would  time-out/crash ,   even resource-light apps like Word!! :angry:

Frustrated, I removed the WD proprietary Smartware and BAM! – computer was back to normal.

I have an HP Envy notebook with Windows 7 Pro, maxed out on RAM – it’s a bad little machine that almost never chokes, even while running demanding graphics/video editing apps.

I am now considering reinstalling Smartware so I can actually use the “hard drive” I paid nearly $200 for, but I am terrified of putting Smartware on my machine again. (I now have a second computer as well, and would like to “cloud” the two machines, but… Yeah, not feeling too excited about doing this.)  :cry:

(I also just discovered that the drive cannot be reformatted and HAS TO use the WD proprietary software, or it basically functions as a CD drive – gonna have to say “poor form” on that one, boys.) 

So, does anybody have any tips on running Smartware on a Windows 7 machine without it choking the living $h!t out of the machine’s resources?   I would really like to know if there is a fix for this, or if anyone has had similar experiences.    :neutral_face:

(Also, any tips on how to go about getting a refund if I don’t have the paper receipt? Bought it at Staples.)

With the best civility I can muster, hoping not to be written off as an angry “troll” (which I am not surprised to learn that this forum has a lot of, frankly),

Evan

evanexempt wrote:

[…]

(I also just discovered that the drive cannot be reformatted and HAS TO use the WD proprietary software, or it basically functions as a CD drive – gonna have to say “poor form” on that one, boys.) 

[…]

Evan

What do you mean?