WD SmartWare for My Passport Essentials SE: Missing file?!?

Hello, there!

It’s my first post and I’m not getting in well. =\

I just bought a HDD My Passport Essentials SE 1TB. The program simply does not install because it has not found a file (I guess that installer should install this file also).

The error is as follows:

“Windows Could not find ‘C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Western Digital \ WD SmartWare \ Front Parlor \ WDSmartWare.exe.’ Check if its name was typed correctly and try again.”

After this message the installer stops.

To Ensures the presence of this file, I made a copy of the directory WHERE the program is installed before the closure of the installer, Which makes cleaning the content at the moment.

This system is Vista 64 bits.

I already downloaded the VCD Image Support from WD and the error Persists. I tried to install in a laptop with Windows 7 64 bits and the error occurs also.

I tried to use Firmware Update and VCD Manager and they don’t recognize my drive, even removing all USB devices from my computer, disconnecting, wiaiting 10 seconds and reconnecting. The only one that recognizes my drive is WD Quick Drive Format, copied before the installer cleaning.

Had someone similar experience and solved it?

Thanks for spent time reading this and sorry for my english.

I have exactly the same problem.

I just called customer service, and they told me that they needed some info from my computer, but there isn’t a solution for this problem yet. they are familiar with this problem and they are working on a solution, but at this time, there is nothing they can do about it. so we just have to sit and wait for them to fix it. 

but to help them, you can do this.

find ‘run’ on your computer, and then type msinfo32

you will get a big screen with a lot of info about your computer. what you have to do, is go to the bottom option (software environment if I remember correctly, and export/save

Start programs

running tasks

services

and the last one, something like error reporting or something like that.

you have to export or save them as a note pad file, so that it is as small as possible, and then send then by email to wdc.

at this moment, unfortunately that’s all you can do…

Thanks, dude.

Is there a older version I can use?

I’ve got no idea.

they mailed me back with this:

I apologize for the inconvenience. Make sure that you have Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed on your computer. Uninstall the version of the software you currently have on your computer, and make sure the WD Smartware is updated to the latest version. Some issues similar to yours has been reported by customers related to the automatic backup , and we have released the update for that reason and some other fixes, please find the link below to update it:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/step2.asp?id=wdfMP_SEEssential&os=win

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. 

But I can’t check if it works because I already returned my hard disk. maybe it works for you?

No. This solution didn’t solved my problem…

My system is ok. The problem is there (WD). While they don’t correct it, I will keep using Nero BackIt Up.

Thanks a lot.

Same for me in Windows Vista  and for the people of another Link called “Installation fails” At 25 secs it stops and shows the error described above. It’s becoming a serial error for WD… What a pity to not backup after >100 euros…

You should be able to download it from the SmarWare landing page.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/

That doesn’t work either!!! Sorry, I’ve tried all but SamrtWare doesn’t work. has the problem a Solution or muss I it return?

Thank you  

When you say that doesn’t work “either”, I do not see a a list anywhere of other steps you have tried, nor do I see an error message that is appearing.  You should check to see if you have Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Java 6 update 21, and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

If you have all of the available and SmartWare 1.4.1.1 is not running on your system, then you should call technical support and get further assistance.