WD Smartware Error Message/Backup Problems

My suggestion was not to go back versions in Windows 10. You stay with Windows 10 version 1607 (Anniversary Edition). Only remove the Windows updates to that Version, then reinstall updates with Windows Update. This would not effect anything else on your system, only correct any problems encountered with Windows Update. For insurance a System Restore point could be created before trying this. I have for some time suspected that this HRESULT error was a Microsoft problem with their updates not a Western Digital Smartware problem. My experience I believe proves this, but to be sure I would need someone to see if it works on their system.

Arnold - thanks for the feedback. I see what you are saying and started the process of deleting updates. There were 8 and managed to delete one, then next ones did not show a delete option. Will persevere and see where it goes but appreciate your suggestions.

@ Arnold_Moser

I think you are correct - all updates are cumulative - otherwise there would be massive chaos.
I have 94 updates installed but I know the updates that need to be deleted (9/21/16) because I mentioned them in my initial post here.
I deleted two of the three - the third one won’t let me delete it, but I rebooted after the first two and nothing changed.
I then ‘checked for updates’ and the message came back: Your device is up to date.
So, unless MS & WD get together I am stuck.

Thanx for your help.

I didn’t have to delete the updates, Microsoft did it for me when I reinstalled Windows 10. I wouldn’t recommend that though. I spent 2 days reinstalling all my personal stuff. Are you finding the page where it says “Uninstall Updates” (Settings-Update & Security-Update History-Uninstall Updates)? I assumed Updates being plural, it deleted all updates. I noticed in my post from yesterday that I missed the step “Update & Security” Also are you checking the Build level after uninstalling Updates (Settings-Systems-scroll down to “About” and click “About”)? OS Build should read “14393.0” if you were successful in uninstalling all updates.

@Arnold_Moser

“Settings-Update & Security-Update History-Uninstall Updates)?”
Yes, I could select which ones they were by date. Update were done on a specific day of the week by MS - that is how I knew which date - the day after the MS update of 9/21, WD stopped working…
If I run check for updates and it comes back updated - that is all I really need to know; thus, not working with build dates

Also I did this:
Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a Program - chose WD SmartWare and at the top of page hit repair.
Rebooted an there was no change.

Sounds reasonable to me. I find it interesting that when you click on “Uninstall Updates” there are more updates there than show on the “Update History” page. I didn’t realize that when I posted my comments on March 3. Let me know if this fixes the problem for you.

Just wanted to add to my comments and experience. Today when I go to my Update History page it lists 3 updates one is the Malicious Software Removal Tool which is not listed on the uninstall page and of course it would not be since it is a scanner not an update… When I go to the Uninstall/Installed Updates page it shows 6 updates all dated 3/1/2017. Four of which are not listed on the Update History Page. It sounds like you and Jim Easton found many more than that complicating my suggestion for a fix since you can only delete one update at a time. I never noticed how many I had before I had my system problem and reinstalled Windows. By the way, Smartware is still working for me without any problems.

Since my previous comments about this problem apparently being a problem with Microsoft Update and my suggestion probably not working because trying to delete all windows update seems like an impossible task. My neighbor’s computer shows 97 installed updates and trying to delete them one at a time may not be possible. I had another conversation with a WD tech about Windows Update being the problem without much hope for help from WD. I ran across a Microsoft site that actually talks about Windows Update and the 0x80070003 error. For what it’s worth this is the link to the site: Fix Windows Update errors - Microsoft Support This procedure actually shuts down Windows Update, delete some folders and then restarts it.

I have had the MyCloud installed for some time and it has worked flawlessly, needing little intervention. Noticed a few days ago that the auto backup had not been performed since Nov 2016. Actually, when I opened the WD Smartware Software application, and clicked on the Home page MyCloud Backup Target, and selected the Backup Tab, it responded with “HRRESULT 0x80070003” I tried repeatedly, closing and then opening the application, with no success.

After successive attempts, I was able to open the “Set Backup Frequency” tab and change form Scheduled Backup to Continuous Backup. After closing and opening the application several times, I let the application run in that mode for a day or so, and subsequently have switched back to Scheduled Backup.

I don’t believe in magic, especially with computers, but can report that I have not seen the error since I was able to switch from Scheduled to Continuous…

1 Like

I just got my Lenovo refreshed by Microsoft Store here in Connecticut with the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10. Fired it up at home and attempted to Enable Backup in the SmartWare Pro 2.4.16, experiencing the same problems as many of you stated earlier with the same error message. But I followed Charles’ advice. Initially the Set Backup Frequency was grayed out. I didn’t exit the SmartWare, but simply enabled the backup a few more times, witnessing the 0X80070003 Error message each time. Afterward, The Set Backup Frequency button was accessible, hence I clicked on it and went to “change from Scheduled Backup to Continuous Backup.” Now I am doing the backup with seemingly no trouble no more. Thanks Charles!!

To all:

Please, do not be fooled. The lack of error messages when the backup “appears” to have taken hold for you is NOT necessarily a sign all is well.

If you check on your server for any new files or folders you created recently since the B/U ceased to show errors in continuous mode, you may well find they are not there. It took me a little time to realize this myself. One of the other things you may notice is the lack of file count changing in the (so called) Smartware. Mine has been on the same number for weeks, even though I have added hundreds of files.

Please check, if you have important or say even critical files it is very likely THEY ARE NOT BACKED UP!!!

Notwithstanding the two spreadsheet files created while in Continuous did get backed up and verified, I noticed the following situations:

1. Going in and out of Continuous Backup mode did get the “HRRESULT 0x80070003” each time.
  2. So did the Enable / Disable Backup selection changeover.
  3. With Continuous Backup, mouse movements occasionally get “draggy.”
  4. The above situation did not occur while Backup was completely disabled.
  5. Now I am back in Scheduled Backup. Will continuous to evaluate my backups.

Okay - I got this to work on continuous mode, something that wouldn’t work last week.
But if I try to schedule something on a daily basis, I still get the error message

Hi

I had the same issue, and found this forum. Following other posters’ trials and tribulations, I switched from scheduled to continuous backup, enabled the backup - and that seemed OK. I then disabled the continuous backup, switched to scheduled backup, and enabled the backup. It seems to be working - but I’ll be checking later that more recent file changes have actually been captured (and not just reported as captured). Will keep you posted.

I can confirm that the files were backed up for sure - just checked the WD backup drive, and there are lots of files with yesterday as their creation/modified date.

So the above procedure seems to have worked for me.

It’s weird, smartware dont back up office apps (excel, word…) but for other files, it works . I got the last version…do you have an idea ?

I’m having this problem and it’s 12/10/17 over a year after you all have reported it. I can’t believe there isn’t a fix posted blatantly on the WD Support site when you search for it

I searched for this exact phrase…!!!

The system cannot find the path specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003)

Is there a fix, it’s Dec 10, 2017 and I am having this problem on my Windows 10 PC running WD Smartware.

I’ve been reading through this thread but have not seen a definitive fix. This is very discouraging. I recommend WD a lot but my faith is being tested now!

I solve like this:

Delete Temp files (don’t know if needed but I do it first when fix):
C:\Windows\Temp
Delete all the files you find there, some files could not be deleted… don’t worry.

step2:
Go to WD Smartware, Backup, (Advanced View) this is a arrow down , I untick “mail”, apply.
And start to work again… I put again “mail” and still working good.
Then when you go to “view Files” (when the problem say : The system cannot find the specified path) now say: File pending backup. So it works!
Hope help!